Bike rack for '95 Legacy Outback

I'm thinking about getting a bike rack for my '95 Outback, preferably the roof type that mounts to the factory rack, as I don't have a trailer hitch and the hatch/trunk mount ones don't exactly look safe and secure with their foam bumpers and nylon straps. (Maybe I'm just paranoid.) Anyway, my Outback still has the factory rack and factory crossbars, it's the older type with the really wide crossbars. I'd like to be able to carry at least two older mountain bikes as cheaply as possible. Currently I just throw the bikes into the back but that's kind of getting old. ;)

Another, less important consideration is that the rack system be able to be used or at least adapted to use on a '99 Forester. There's a chance that I might take mom's old Forester in a couple years when she gets a turbo Forester or perhaps a WRX. :)

I've looked at some websites (yakima, thule) but I'm interested in other's opinions/experiences and other brand options as well.

Thanks,

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

I've got a Thule hitch mount that I swear by. I'm curious is this a nice bike(s)?

Reply to
A7N8X-X

I have the Thule on my '95 Outback. I went with Thule over Yakima because Yakima uses round cross bars and (I heard) their fixtures tend to swivel around the bar, where Thule bars are square. Less of a problem on a bike tray which would span both bars, but I had intended to get the canoe or kayak attachments, which only mount to one bar. OTOH, I've seen people with the Yakima setup that put in regular pipe if they need longer crossbars, which could mean they're easily replaceable. Neither of these are cheap, though. I know the setup I have for mine won't fit a regular Outback (i.e., one with the raised roofline, as they have a different rack). I'm not sure about the Forester, but Thule has a fit guide on their website.

As far as other brands, the others I saw were, IIRC, really cheap looking, and not much less expensive.

Tonyrama '95 Outback

Reply to
tonyrama

We have an 04 OB and got a trailer hitch with it for $350 or so. I got a Hollywood carrier that fits into the hitch and works well with 3-bikes. Only problem encountered was that the receiver bolt finally stripped its threads after a year. Dealer pleaded dumb, which fit! So I went to Napa and got a lug knut without the acorn top, and use JB Weld to put it in the Hollywood unit. Now I can torque things together with up to 60 ft-lbs with no problem. It's hard to really secure something with that much suspended weight at the top of a 4' post with only a 1 1/4" receiver. But, this sure worked for $0.50!! I prefer this to the top mount becasue my wife could never manage to load if with her daughter plus it really cuts down on the drag on the freeways.

Reply to
Don.

Reply to
jimuntch

Nice bike? :) I know people with $10 bikes that would want to answer yes to that quiestion. I might occasionally transport my sister's bike, which is an ungodly heavy full suspension mountain bike Huffy-type thing, but I can lift it. The other two bikes are an older Bianchi (mine) and a new Gary Fisher. (friend's) Both are mountain bikes.

Reply to
Hallraker

Haven't checked out eBay. I'll take a look.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Yeah I figured that our Outbacks would be different, due to the unique rack design. I'll have to take a look at the fit guide and see what (if any) parts are compatible.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker