Bird crap warning UK

We all are aware that birdy poo is liable to cause damage to the paint and should be removed as soon as possible. I have discovered the following...to my cost... #1 Seagull crap from coastal birds (not the inland scavengers) is full of sand and does an excellent job as an abrasive which I found out after having to rub quite hard to remove a big splatter following a trip to the beach...and that's after soaking with warm water and detergent. Result...a big dull patch of paintwork plus a few scores... most of which polished out OK luckily.

#2 Some varieties of birds appear to excrete a mixture of solvent and acid. One took a dump which landed on the roof at the back...not easily visible. By the time I noticed it I had a hole in the paint about an inch square right down to the primer. The top coats had gone. I'm trying to fill with paint and cut back to avoid a roof respray so be warned...bird s*1t is extremely bad news. Nope, not covered in the warranty. You'd think that in this day and age the paint technologists could come up with something better.

-- Clive Norris

02 WRX Selectron (UK) Ltd Musical Equipment Distribution
Clive

Cliff Wright

You think you have it tough! I work as a coatings and corrosion consultant to the Canadian Navy at one of their coastal dockyard facilities. My 04 Forester (Black no less) is parked under a constant barrage of seagulls and ravens. The white on black effect really high-lights the effect. I have to hose down the car almost daily just to make it pesentable. The hazards of the job I guess. Next time I will insist on the silver paint I wanted in the first place.

One thing I have noticed about the foresters paint is that it appears to be soft, relative to other auto finishes in my experience. Circular rub marks all over, even though I use the latest specialized automotive cleaning equipment and products.

Here's a thought on paint colour (as a coatings pro). Black vehicles are subject to a greater thermal cycling during the UV attack by day (surface temps to 68C) and then to ambient temp at night (typically 14C). This stresses the coatings, and all parts for that matter, by continued expansion and contraction. In contrast, a light silver or white vehicle may see only

Hmmm.. reminds me of a friend in Australia who parked his pride and joy Bilstein Liberty (Legacy) on a headland to admire the view and realised when he came back that he'd left the doors open. Then he realised that the pelican INSIDE the vehicle had redecorated the entire dashboard and upholstery a fetching shade of white ... That's not covered by warranty either, but it did eventually clean up!

Reply to
hippo

High quality paint there I see......Earl Schieb would be proud.

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik