Your top 10 add-ons

For someone with a new toy - a totally stock bug, what would be the top 10 add-ons that you would modify it with? Either for speed, show, convenience or fun, etc.

Reply to
Richard Golding

"Richard Golding" wrote

For convenience, the one that's served me best has been a passenger side mirror ...very handy when juggling cars around in the driveway. I also added a cigarette lighter ... for powering the cell phone not for smoking. :-) The only other thing I've added to my stock '72 is a trailer hitch.

Oh wait ... I did put in an aftermarket radio to replace the non-stock one that was there when I bought the car.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H
  1. Passenger side mirror
  2. CD Player
  3. 12V power outlet (cigarette lighter)
  4. Disc Brakes
  5. Braided steel brake lines
  6. Slightly lowered front end (I have a super beetle)
  7. Chrome Empi 8 spoke wheels
  8. Air conditioning (I live in Florida)
  9. 1776 engine
  10. Possible dual carbs
Reply to
Shane

I would 1st focus on security:

- Seats with head support, I don't mind at all how original they are, my neck is even more original (only one!).

- Disc brakes, easy to install and work wonderfully.

- Oil temp gauge, prevents disasters.

- Right mirror.

- Fire extingisher.

Then I would go for performance:

- 1776cc engine with dual carbs, but this is in fact more than 10 add-ons if we take into account the cam, bearings, carbs, etc...

- Wider than stock wheels, like empi 8 spokes.

Finally the looks:

- Slightly lowered front end, again this counts as more than one add-on.

But I would focus primarily on the security issue, the rest is more a matter of taste and includes more than 10 "add-ons" anyway.

Ant

Richard Golding wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Ant, you forgot the 3 point retractable seatbelt.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Let's see. Shane is got a good list, let's modify it.

  1. Passenger side mirror
  2. 3 Point seat belt
  3. Disc Brakes
  4. Bigger engine
  5. Full flow filter oil pump
  6. Slightly lowered front end (I also have a super beetle)
  7. Black Empi 8 spoke wheels (+Pirelli bigger tires)
  8. Pointless electronic ignition
  9. Sound system
  10. Possible dual carbs

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Reply to
Shane

#10 - Remove the tiny, dessicated mice carcasses from the seat padding.

It's all downhill after that.

Reply to
jjs

No I didn't, but I assume that everyone is smart enough not to drive without one, am I mistaken? .............. probably, reality is stranger than fiction. This is a part of the car as basic as the steering wheel! that's why I didn't mention, but probably you are right on that, Karls.

Ant

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Hehe, isn't this "10 add-ons" list turning into a "10 whishes" list? :D

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Well, in that case, except for the bigger engine and the empi wheels. All my wishes had been granted. Now I only wish i had a complete rust free bug.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Pena

Here is my (and most of us') top 10 wishes

  1. a rust free bug
  2. an easy to remove axle nut
  3. a quaife differential
  4. carbon fiber accesories
  5. a big stroker engine
  6. no shimmies EVER
  7. 35 MPG
  8. Low cost insurance
  9. a big garage
  10. a wife who likes bugs

Did I miss something? Ahh, easy to remove axle nuts.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

My top Ten things that I would do to my car.

1) Fix Rust & Paint 2) Re-upholster seats in stock configuration to get rid of that comfortable feeling of direct body contact with the inner workings of the drivers seat. 3) New headliner that is actually all white 4) Generator fixed...Tim I did tow the car over to my father in laws house and we are going to start on it tomorrow. (Sat) 5) Disk brakes. Nothing like the feeling of brake fade on a hot day. 6) Radio of some sort 7) Jake Raby Type IV Motor. 8) Empi Steering Wheel 9) Empi Eliminator or Berg locking shifter. 10) BRM or Sprintstar wheels. 11) Inheritance from an uncle that I did not know about to finance all of this. :o)

Bill Berckman Cincinnati VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show Pictures

Bill Berckman
1 Manx SR, Riot, or similar body (anything that gets me down to 1400 lbs or less) 2 Roll cage linking frame horns, ahock towers 3 Bored and stroked Type 4 engine...about 2600 cc 4 Front disks 5 Quick steer + bump steer adjustment 6 Minilite wheels with DOT legal autocross tires 7 Rear engine/transaxel support 8 Koni shocks, adjustable rear sway bar 9 Wishbone front suspension 10 Porsche 944 rear trailing arms and disks

:)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Hamilton

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:29:47 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@xyzzy.stafford.net (jjs) scribbled this interesting note:

Is that what causes that Beetle Smell???

John Willis

Most of the add-ons I would recomend are tools, not car add-ons

1) Torquemeister 2) Torque wrenches ( at least two, one for medium jobs, and one for small stuff ) 3) A solid, good quality floor jack 4) Really solid , good quality , jack stands (x4) 5) Air compressor ( debateable which size or type, but I recomend one) 6) Really good quality grease gun and accessories 7) BUG-ME Videos ( all of 'em) 8) An X- Emblem ( not a tool , but a damn good looking substitute for the VW logo on any hood that has one ) 9) Selection of metric tools both wrench and socket types of a known good brand/quality...........minimum = Craftsman 10) A Big Bucket of patience and understanding

( these are not the basic tools that most will recomend, howver they are some of the best tools that will quickly become necessities in your corral if you intend to be a Beetle owner for long . Also I might mention here that Books of all types will be of the essence when you work on your Beetle, so purchase all of them )

I don;t know if I'd do much adding on, myself, but I do rather like two Items that I have seen on the open market, and would enjoy.

1) the BANJO Steering wheel. I have to say it's a damn good looking item if you find one in A+ condition. Very worthwhile.

2) if you can't seem to afford the banjo wheel, there's a really cool , I suppose it's a re-pop, Clock that replaces the horn button. I think one of the neatest Items I've seen, that no one else has..........or at least very few have I seen.

I like the most of my bug the way it is.............planty fast, plenty cool, plenty good looking.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:37:59 GMT, MUADIB® scribbled this interesting note:

Is that just your car you're talking about???

John Willis

Why yes,...........it is.................LOL

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®
  1. a rust free bug - getting there
  2. an easy to remove axle nut - mine weren't hard to get off
  3. a quaife differential - yeah
  4. carbon fiber accesories - I dont need them
  5. a big stroker engine - fun while they last
  6. no shimmies EVER - rebuild the front end
  7. 35 MPG - yeah right...lol
  8. Low cost insurance - mines not bad a month for 3 cars, one not driven
  9. a big garage - had one before i moved : (
  10. a wife who likes bugs - GOT ONE!!!

but i will add to my own wish list...

  1. my '69 rebuild completed
  2. 4 wheel disc brakes on both cars
  3. new paint job for the '66
  4. HUGE workshop complete with metal working equipment, machine shop, paint booth and climate controlled storage space for at least 4 cars and lots of workbench space/toolboxes for lots of tools and oh yeah add ac/heat and running water in the shop... lol like any of thats going to happen anytime soon
Reply to
dragenwagen

I took the stock lapbelt (Swedish) out so the autority can't fine me for having one in and not using it... It isn't a daily driver, just for good weather, so the milage is low and therefor the danger...(....lapbelt isn't secure enough...) My top 10 wishlist (if i get to ten)

  1. Right mirror (got it but not instaled yet)
  2. a nice '59 number for on the rear bumper (dito)
  3. the original 1200cc handchoke engine (getting it some day soon)
  4. the Okrasa or Judson powerset...(sigh)
  5. an old original roofrack
  6. the original Blaupunkt radio from the fifties
  7. many, many, MANY miles of Fweem without too much interference of anything...
  8. a Porche 356 convertible......................

I'm hapy

Roger

"Ant" schreef in bericht news:c1nl5s$ggt$ snipped-for-privacy@news.tudelft.nl...

Reply to