Buying a shop press

I am currently building a 1980 CJ5. I want to rebuild my T176 transmission as well as my Dana 300 transfer case. I realize that I will need a shop press to do both of these jobs, plus I'd just like to have one around for general use. What size do you guys recommend I buy? I already know that a 12 ton press is too small. Is a 20 ton big enough or do I need to go bigger? I know that bigger is better, but as most of you can understand funds are limited. I've been looking at Harbor Freight and their prices seem reasonable compared to most other places, but I've bought plenty from them and realize that their quality is spotty at best. Any other places I should look? Thanks in advance for your help.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

RoyJ

In article , RoyJ wrote: #What is it that you need to press that 12 tons is too small? #

When I removed my rear shaft bearings, a 12 ton was just barely enough.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

In article , Neil wrote: #I am currently building a 1980 CJ5. I want to rebuild my T176 #transmission as well as my Dana 300 transfer case. I realize that I #will need a shop press to do both of these jobs, plus I'd just like to #have one around for general use. What size do you guys recommend I #buy? I already know that a 12 ton press is too small. Is a 20 ton big #enough or do I need to go bigger? I know that bigger is better, but #as most of you can understand funds are limited. I've been looking at #Harbor Freight and their prices seem reasonable compared to most other #places, but I've bought plenty from them and realize that their quality #is spotty at best. Any other places I should look? Thanks in advance #for your help.

As someone else pointed out previously regarding Harbor Freight, the orange color stuff feels like it's gonna fall apart after 15 minutes of use, but seems to last a very long time, but the blue color stuff feels like it's gonna fall apart after 15 minutes of use, and the often do.

If you need some sort of tool as a base to cut up to fabricate another tool out of, the Harbor Freight stuff is hard to beat.

I just wish their stuff was not made in China Inc., AKA The People's Republic of Prison Industries.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

I used a 12 ton press made in China to rebuild my Dana 300 and install the 4 to 1 kit. It worked great! I have used it for several other jobs also. For $150 it is a great asset to the garage. Bought it at one of those tool shows that travel from town to town... it is Blue in color and made very well.

Reply to
JimG