camry or subary continued -

What engine in the Camry? The 2.4l 4 cyl. engine or the V6?

Is 2.4L I-4 160 HP in Camries called 4 cyl. engine? I heard bad news about V6; so no V6 for me.

What engine for the Legacy? Turbo or no turbo?
2.5L H-4 250 HP (this is turbo, right?) versus 2.5L H-4 168 HP (no turbo?). I prefer the former.
With the 4cyl. engine, go with the Legacy, otherwise pick the Camry

Is this suggestion because UNLESS I get turbo in Subaru legacy (i.e

2.5 GT), it's not even worth bothering getting a Subaru legacy?
unless you drive in the snow 6 months a year..

No snow here. I will have a garage to keep my car.

The reason I am resuming my interest in Subaru over Camry is that I really love my friend's Subaru 2.5 GT. I don't know much about cars in detail but I know that I really like the control he has with his 2.5 GT. I feel so comfortable sitting in front passenger seat; do not feel motion during turns like poeplw ould feel when I turn (in my front wheel drive Nissan Sentra or previously owned Honda Civic.

I hardly will have people sitting in the back seat and so I am not too concern about the space in the back area that some people point out in Subaru. I would pull the driver seat so close to the steering wheel that the back should have enough room left.

Is it going to be REAL headache w.r.t maintenance to own a Subaru 2.5GT in this city of (Sacramento) ?

Reply to
amanda992004

Thoughts on turbos: IF longevity is an issue for you (it is for me, for some I know it's not) you'll probably find the reports of long-lived Subarus tend to favor the non-turbo models. Put a 5 spd behind the non-turbo, make the rev counter your friend, and the 168 hp engine should do you fine. Put an automatic behind it, and you might as well find a parking place in the shade. That applies to the Camry, too, if you can find a 4 cyl w/ a 5 spd. (I have little good to say about autos behind 4 cyl engines--others won't necessarily share my feelings.)

Pulling 250 hp from a 2.5l engine's a fair amount of power, but remember, it will come at a cost in longevity (and possible operating cost?)

As for keeping up a Subie in your neighborhood, Auburn Subaru gets consistent high marks from those who've patronized them. Depending on where in the Sac area you are, it may or may not be a bit of a hike. If I'm not mistaken, aren't there some big auto malls south of town down near Florin Rd or heading toward Elk Grove, too? Might find a dealer there, as well.

Good luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

(I have little good to say about autos

I felt the same way until I drove my wife's WRX.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Care to elaborate? Pardon me for not getting it completely.

Reply to
amanda992004

remember, it will

Something to think about for sure.

I am kind of new to CA. When you say Auburn Subaru, do you mean the city of Auburn, not the street named Auburn Blvd (in Sacramento), right? There is Maita Toyota on Auburn Blvd where my friend bought his Subie from.

I am close to freeway; I don't like to drive too far cus I'm kind of tired with exams and moving too - but I will if I must.

Yes, there is an auto mall in Elk Grove.

Reply to
amanda992004

Sure. I drove a few 4 cyl cars with auto transmissions in my life. They all sucked. Badly.

I drove my wife's WRX with an auto. It doesn't suck. It's actually kinda fun, though I would have bought a stick myself.

She has a knee injury that's worsened with continual use of a clutch so she needs an auto.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Generally true, but with age I've developed an appreciation for the best solution to a given problem. When I bought my OB in 1998 I was doing a huge amount of driving both in cities such as NYC, Boston, Philly, and on the open road. Had the 6-cyl been available I'd have taken it, but the 4 has been a great compromise. I'm not going to play on the switchbacks with my kayak or lumber on the roof anyway and I won't win any drag races, but I'm still one of the 2% fastest cars on the freeway over a distance. I'm looking at getting a vintage sports car or motorcycle for the "fun" driving.

My next OB will be a 6, if they haven't come up with completely different motor technology by the time I cover another 200K miles.

Reply to
BobN

Sorry, brain fart there... yes, "Auburn Subaru" would be a hike for you, it's in Auburn, WA, NOT Auburn, CA! (I'm not sure if Auburn, CA has grown enough to have any car dealers? It's been a few years since I've been there.) The one I was thinking of is the one you mentioned on Auburn Blvd, Maita Subaru

was confusingthe street w/ the town. Hope I didn't totally throw you! Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Thanks for the clearification. I'll probably use Maita Toyota on Auburn.

Reply to
amanda992004

The thread's kinda confused at this point. I recommended Auburn Subaru, in the city of Auburn, Ca. to purchase a new vehicle, because I was not impressed with Maita or Roseville.

I've also recommended Auburn Subaru in Washington state for mail order parts.

Hope that clears things up.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Too bad, we get to make full use of the Subaru features up here in Canada for a good portion of the year. It was the main reason I was attracted to a Subaru.

Yes, that's actually not entirely due to the All-Wheel Drive. Part of the reason for that feeling of stability is due to the engine design. All Subarus have horizontally-opposed (aka flat) engines. This means that the engine's cylinders move side to side in the car, rather than straight up and down in the case of inline engines, or even diagonally in the case of V-engines. This means that the mass of the engine is sitting much lower in the car than most other cars. Therefore very little body roll. Even the extra-tall Subies, like the Outback and Forrester don't roll very much. Typical SUVs with traditional engines, with their tall structures tend to roll quite a bit, even to the point of being tipsy.

Porsche 911 also has this flat engine design, so they would tend to be very stable feeling too. :-)

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
YKhan

Thanks for the explanation.

I really hate that rolling feeling; I can't imagine how passengers in my car, though I hardly have any passengers, feel when I drive.

Reply to
amanda992004

You know, that's a typical complaint of people who suffer from motion sickness. Is motion sickness a problem for you?

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Yes, more so when I am the passenger and ESPECIALLY when there is an elevation change.

So not everyone feels the same way I do about rolling feelings ?

Reply to
amanda992004