are these options worth putting in Legacy GT

First of all, is CarsDirect.com a reliable site to get price quote? I mean, should I get the pricing from CarsDirect.com and go to the dealer with it?

The following are the options available for 2.5GT from carsdirect.com, I also put a question next to each one):

- Air Filtration system (does it make a differece?) - $48

- Amplifier (Is the price worth it?) - $178

- auto dimming mirror w/ compass (Is the cmapass Useful?) - $119

- auto dimming mirror w/ compass & HomeLink Wireless Control System (what's this wireless thing?) - $168

- Security System Upgrade Perimeter Alarm (Needed?) - $64

- All Weather Floor Mats (SHould I get it) - 33

- Alloy Wheel locks (Good to have?) - $27

- spoiler (different colors availble but I don't care much for it) - $285

The followings are stated as available for 2.5 GT and 2.5i when comparing them (

) but I don't see in theoption list to choose them:- Mud Flaps (How helpful is this?)- Rocker Panel Extensions (what is this good for?)

By the way, during price comparison (see

Inoticed that for both 2.5 GT and 2.5i, the seats and cloth aredescribed as "sports" and "premium cloth", respectively but ... in the option list (see
for Seats and SeatTrim, "Performance 4-Stage Heated Front Bucket Seats" and "Tweed FlatWoven Seat Upholstery" are STATED as standard feature. Between sports and bucket for seat, is sports better? I am wondering whether this site is being tricky stating bdifferent inof as standard feature in 2 different places.

Reply to
amanda992004

Very Doubtful, unless you have drastic alergies.

Yes... fantastically useful. My wife's Forester had one, and she's still complaining because I kept her Subaru and bought her an Accord without that kind of mirror/compass.

I think it works with some garage door openers.

Probably, otherwise Subaru's are not very secure.

Only if you live on a farm and wear muddy boots.

Doubtful, can't stop professional thieves from taking your wheels.

Absolute waste of money, merely cosmetic.

I would not buy a car without them... limits wheel spray on wet roads and keeps car cleaner.

Be aware when you go to the dealer the HARD thing is to find a car WITHOUT options you may not want. They get extra profit by "packing" the car with such options.

Reply to
Charles Gillen

If it gives you a sense that the air is cleaner, yes.

You probably can't really tell the difference at normal volumes.

Conspicuous consumption

Conspicuous consumption

If you like the alarm going off in thunder storms, yes.

Does it rain/snow enough in your area to make a difference?

They look nice, but really don't affect how the car handles.

Conspicuous consumption.

Do you need something to step on when getting into the car?

Reply to
kstahl

Go here and read up on the standard features and options. You can download the brochure here:

or try build your own here:

Air filter is standard on some Subaru's, I have the auto dimming mirror w/compass and like it. Carpet floor mats should be standard, but if you need mud protection, these would be nice. The mud flaps help keep rocks from chipping the paint on the lower panels. Most of these can also be added later, and purchased at discount online from several Subaru part sites.

I have seen several car price sites that list items that are standard on a model as options on a list, such as automatic transmission on a car that only comes with an automatic, so the brochure should help you on the standard features.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

I can't vouch that this is true for Legacys, but all Imprezas come equipped for the cabin filter---there's a compartment behind the glove box, where you slide the filter in.

The cost of the option, is that the dealer puts a filter in the box...

Replacement filters run something like $35, from dealer...

Alternatively, many Impreza owners have found you can cut an approximate 7" by 8" square from a home furnace/AC filter, and slip it in the holder, and get identical results. If you buy a

20x20 filter at Walmart for $5, you can cut four panels.

I changed mine the first time, after about six months...I was amazed at how much dirt and seeds, leaf stalks, etc was caught by it.

Reply to
CompUser

Thanks for the info on optionals.

Thanks for pointing that out too. The first time I tried to get some price quote on Internet, just before my initial post in this ng, instead of instantly gettign info, I had to give email address and then got emails w/o any useful info - price quote - but inviting me to make a visit, blah..blah..blah.. and then got a price quote, from the same person, such as below with things I never requested: manual speed, with spolier and Center Armrest Extension.

I know I got a lot of HW to do before going to the dealer.

Stock # 56223411

2005 Subaru Legacy GT LTD Sedan Atlantic Blue Pearl 5 Speed Manual Auto Dimming Mirror / Compass Spoiler Security System Upgrade Center Armrest Extension Splash Guards MSRP : 30,139 Your Price : 27,991
Reply to
amanda992004

filter in. My 2000 Nissan Sentra has one at that spot. Kragen told me that they couldn't order it for me. Dealer charged me $80 to replace the filter. In the future, for whichever car, I am going to buy 20x20 filter from Walart and replace it myself., if I ever want to.

If I don't take Air Filtration System option, the car still comes with the *holder* where the filter goes, right?

Reply to
amanda992004

I don't have allergies but would the filter filters chemical pollution in the air SUFFICIENTLY?

I have a non-allergic type rhinitis: smoke (form exhaust) bothers me. When there is traffic jam, I can't choose the opiton to get air outdoor air circulate intot he car. I smell the exhaust from other cars.

Reply to
amanda992004

It would give me that sense only if it does the kind of job I need it done.

Reply to
amanda992004

thanks a lot.

Reply to
amanda992004

Exactly.

Without option, the holder was empty...with option, a filter is inserted.

Again, this is on Impreza models...I'd assume it's same on all the others, but you know how that can be.

The filter type you want is the style that looks like "solid" polyester fabric, usually white, not the blue-gauzy stuff.

Reply to
CompUser

Maybe you could buy or borrow from your library this book;

Very helpful.

Carl

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks. I needed that info.

Reply to
amanda992004

I just noticed your post, i.e the link you provided of the book (on May

19, the day of my car accident). You must have posted after I stopped posting that day. Anyway,

Editorial review states "Tips for Protecting Yourself If You Are Paying Cash". I don't have time to wait for the book and also I am paying with a check (would it be considered same as cash), I wonder what is that I need to know if I am paying with a personal check. I assume personal check is okay.

Reply to
amanda992004

Alllrighty.

I don't have the book. Hrmm..maybe they change dtheir site. I can't recall. I used the Subaru financing because the rate was so ungodly low. I'm not sure a personal check for over $20k is somtehing the dealer is going to smile on. A bank or cashier's check is probab ly going to be needed before they let you leave with a vehicle.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

leave with a vehicle.

I think that's what carsdirect lady said. I'll use cashier's check.

Reply to
amanda992004