Can you "drop" vs. lift an engine out of a 1998 Outback?

I need to replace the head gasket(s) on my 1998 2.5L Outback. The infamous oil in the antifreeze indicates I have a blown head gasket. (120K miles).

Since I don't have a hoist, can I elevate the car, and then drop then engine out the bottom, rather than pull it out the top?

I've done that with old Corvairs, and even a buddy with a Subaru/ Vanagon conversion does the install from the bottom. It looks possible, but, is it?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
markmc97225

Not reasonably, rent a cherry picker if you have to.

Reply to
StephenW

Haven't dropped a Subaru engine yet, but in my long experience with Corvairs, which used a rear-mounted 6 cylinder boxer engine ranging from 2.4 to 2.7 liter displacement. Removal from below was the way to go. The transaxle was located forward of the engine, and the drivetrain essentially a subframe in itself, and we found it very easy to jack up (and support) the car and remove the entire assembly from below by simply disconnecting the half-shafts, suspension links, engine mounts, fuel and electrical connections. An experienced pair of backyard mechanics could do it in less than 2 hours, and I've known people to accomplish it solo without spending much more time. Of course, cars of the 1960's had far less auxiliary equipment and much better access to the hardware involved. The Subaru drivetrain is far more complex, but its low mounting may make this approach feasible. Don't know how much more may be in the way and whether the subframe that cradles the engine may be a barrier itself, but it's worth investigating.

Reply to
suburboturbo

Problem is the crossmember is under the engine. The Corvair and vanagon have the engine hanging behind the rear axle line. With the Suabru, it is above and in front of the crossmember, which also partially supports the engine (at least in my son's Impreza). So, in order to remove it from the bottom, you'd probably have to remove the crossmember - which means removing the front suspension. OTOH, removing it from the top seems to be a cinch, since it sits nice and high and there's a lot of room to maneuver (again, in my son's Impreza).

I bought a 2000lb-capacity engine crane from Pep Boys for less than $100, after a rebate. You could probably resell it on Craigslist after using it, for what you paid for it or close to it.

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

It can be done. Did it last summer when I parted out an older Subaru with the intention of scrapping the body. But you don't want to go this way. Way more work. Also if this car has the automatic transmission, I would suggest you also pull it and leave it attached to the engine while you replace the gaskets. If you do seperate them, be aware the inner most input shaft has to be fully seated. It often stops from being fully seated by 1/4". Without going into anymore detail, if you don't catch this problem you will destory the transmission.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

That's the kicker. Doing it with the tranny attached makes for a much less complicated reassembly. However, pulling the engine and transmission together from above requires clearance and angles you probably won't have. Of course, any removal with an automatic will be easier than a stick, since disassembling and reassembling the shift and clutch linkages can be as complicated as the powertrain and require more precise alignment to function properly when you put it back together. Likely that separating the engine from transmission and pulling from above is the way to go. As you say, aligning the input shaft is critical. Interested in hearing how this project evolves.

Reply to
suburboturbo

You do NOT need to pull the engine period to replace the head gasket. undo the motor mount nuts and jack up the motor one side at a time. It's very simple. I'e done this 3 times in the last 6 months.

CommunityWeb and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.autos.subaru - 32020 messages and counting!##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
alhollywood