Car is back with new center diff.

Well finally got the '99 Forester back from the dealer today with a new center differential. Total cost plus four new tires -- $1,600. A few things. They told me the gasket seal failed and when they opened the thing up it was full of rust. Whether the situation was the result of the torgue bind problem or not, they weren't really sure. However, they did say the tires were just on the cusp of being outside the required

1/4 specs. I have to say the car rides a lot smoother now, however that may be because I got used to the s--tbox Chevy rental they gave me. I'll take my Forester with its 98,500 miles over that Chevy which only had 5,000. BTW: My car is a manual and they said that the center diff. seldom fails in this way on manuals.
Reply to
Rob1066

You should'a bought the 7year/100k warranty and it would have been covered

Reply to
bigjim

meh, a lot of people would've lost that bet. They push extended warranties because they have about 50% profit built in. Better to put that money in a 'car fund'. You may never need it.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I sure would have lost. On every new car I've ever bought.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

car I've ever bought

Reply to
bigjim

Um, OK. Well thanks for the advice. Maybe on my next car.

Reply to
Rob1066

You can always get the extended warranty as your vehicle is nearing the end of it's standard warranty. If there are any indications of problems (independent mechanic?) go for the extended warranty. If all is well or yoy'll be getting a new vehicle, forget it. Just don't buy extended warranty at the time of new purchase.

Reply to
Grolch