CEL on '96 Impreza

I have a '96 Impreza Outback Sport with the 2.2L motor and 123k miles. Recently, the check engine light will come on and stay on for a few days, and then go out for a few days, and then come back on for a few days, etc., etc.....

It hasn't bothered me too much because when the light is on, the engine seems to run fine - starts OK, idles OK, accelerates OK, not rough, etc., except for fuel consumption. The mileage goes way down. I can actually notice a drop on the fuel guage in my 7-mile commute. When the CEL is off, mileage returns to normal.

I'm going to take a shot at the possible problem, and I'd like to get others' opinions.

I'm guessing it's either: 1. A bad oxygen sensor (they have never been replaced) or, 2. MAF has gone bad. My reasoning for this comes from what I know of the engine computer and how it is programmed with a "limp home" mode when something goes wrong. Considering that my two possible culprits are both "input" devices to calculate the fuel/air ratio by the engine computer, when the CEL is lit, is the computer in a "limp" mode, possibly using a default, overly-rich fuel/air mixture as to keep things from getting too hot, thus the high fuel consumption?

It's just a guess.

Thanks, Christian

Reply to
Christian Davenport

Are you in USA? Find an Autozone store near ya and they'll read your codes for free:

Then pop over to:

...and hopefully your codes will show...mine, P1491, doesn't...off to see dealer tomorrow!

Steve

04 WRX
Reply to
CompUser

At that mileage, it's reasonable to replace the O2 Sensor(s) even if they're still OK.

This link (that I think I learned here today) shows how to retrieve your trouble codes from the CEL (no scanner required):

More trouble code stuff here:
If it's running with an overly rich fuel mixture, it can lead to other problems, which I think include fouling your O2 sensors. Dunno if it can damage your cat, but it's likely the original problem can: at least some cars only light up the CEL for trouble codes that can damage the emission system. Others go unreported unless you scan. Dunno if Subaru works that way.

Reply to
David

hI !

Maybe it could be the cam sensor . I had this problem on my old car :) bye!

Reply to
Nicolas Bernard

It sounds like your gas tank sending unit is failing. What happens is the slider get a bad spot so the fuel gauge drops. The CEL comes on. Then after about 200 miles it clears. You fill the tank and when the slider gets to the bad spot. cycle repeats.

Subaru get big money for new sending units. On the Outback there at 2 units. The pair costs like $400. I have heard you can fix the unit.

Reply to
George