Chaining 4WD Required - What do we do?

On the news last week I saw that they required 4WD vehicles chain up before going over a pass here in Washington. I checked the Washington State Department of Transportation and found the following (please read last sentence)...

Exception for all wheel drive vehicles: when "chains required" signs are posted, all-wheel drive vehicles are exempt from the chain requirement when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction devices, provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are carried in the vehicle. However, the patrol can require chains on all-wheel drive vehicles as well, if conditions warrant their use."

Since 2000 Subarus or newer can't be chained, what are we suppose to do? Any solutions out there?

Reply to
Mark Williams

Mine can, although I'm not sure if you can chain the rear wheels. 03 Forester.

I'm sure any modern Subaru car can accept a Spikes Spider.

Reply to
David

I sent email to the suburu via mysubaru.com. They said while then can't make recommendation, they say that cable chains (i.e. cables, not chain) will work fine.

I have Outback '05

Reply to
LB

Security Chain Co. has a "Shur Grip" line of cable chains that they claim can be used on the front wheels of some (all) Subarus.

:>> Since 2000 Subarus or newer can't be chained, :>

:> Mine can, although I'm not sure if you can chain the rear wheels. 03 :> Forester. :>

:> I'm sure any modern Subaru car can accept a Spikes Spider. :>

:>

:> : :

Reply to
George Schroeder