Tire Chains on Forester

I have an '06 Forester. I was thinking of carrying chains for use in extreme winter conditions. The manual says that they are ok provided that the meet the right clearance standards and are put on the front wheels. I'd be interested in hearing from others on their experiences with tire chains. Thanks.

Reply to
DMH

no experience but I ran across an interesting product - probably aimed more at folks who live with long periods of ice - called IIRC Spike's Spiders. might try a search for them - interesting product.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

In the California Sierras, they are more of a law enforcement formality than anything.

The law here states that AWD vehicles do not have to chain up even if the road is posted for chains. OTOH, if you do get stuck and you can't chain up, you can be cited.

We carry nice new chains that have only been mounted once in the warmth of our garage to check fit and clearance.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I would assume they have to be on back wheels as well as front because of the difference in tire diameter that we always hear about - could mess up AWD.

Reply to
Frank

No personal experience myself, either, but only because the price is too steep for me. People who have them all seem to love them - quick and easy to put on once the hub adapters are fitted at the beginning of winter, and very effective on ice. They might not be legal where studs are prohibited, though.

I have gone to Z-cables, available at NAPA, because they can be put on without moving the car (difficult at times) or jacking the wheels up. They also may have more resistance to sideways sliding, but I don't have the experience yet :-)

I also carry a small piece of the foam sheet that is used for underlayment on laminate floors, so I can kneel without oogies (technical term) getting me.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Under conditions where there is plenty of slippage, there is less binding on the drivetrain so I think there is less chance of damage. Whatever the manual says I guess. Seems like the fronts or all 4 would be OK. I guess, if you'd stud all 4 tires, the drivetrain should also have no problem with traction devices on all 4?

I dunno - I'm a flatlander.

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Good idea to carry them, this is from CALTRANS website:

Requirement Two (R2): Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels. (NOTE: Four wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas) Requirement Three (R3): Chains are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

See below (California Vehicle Code p 27459) for definition of Snow tires.

Security Chain Company, who manufactures traction devices, and runs the website:

has lots of traction information, along with several types of cable and link chains that meet the SAE Type "S" requirements.

The limited clearance requirements mandate the "Type "S" chain.

This website is from CALTRANS and designates the three types of chain controls that may be in effect.

From the California Vehicle Code:

27459. No person shall operate any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer upon any portion of a highway without tire traction devices when that portion of the highway is signed for the requirement of tire traction devices. In any case where a passenger vehicle or motortruck having an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less may be required by the Department of Transportation or local authorities to be equipped with tire traction devices, the devices shall be placed on at least two drive wheels, or the department or local authorities may provide, in the alternative, that the vehicle may be equipped with snow-tread tires on at least two drive wheels when the weather and surface conditions at the time are such that the stopping, tractive, and cornering abilities of the snow-tread tires are adequate. The snow-tread tires shall be of a type and design manufactured for use on snow as a replacement for tire chains or tire traction devices, shall be in good condition, and shall bear the marking of M-S, M/S, or other marking indicating that the tire was manufactured for use on snow, or, in the case of tires purchased before January 1, 1987, shall either bear the markings or, in the opinion of the inspecting officer, comply with the tread pattern requirements of Section 558.

All in all, it looks like it depends on the highway, local jurisdiction, and the judgement of the CHP/LE officer.

Reply to
QX

I once tried to put chains on my 2001 Forester in Sierra Nevada. A snow removal truck that was passing by stopped, and the driver told me: I never need chains on my car (even when chains are required officially).

-Boris

Reply to
Boris

I used to travel from Reno to Sacramento/SF almost every week for about 5 years and CALTRANS'es attitude seems to be: they prefer to close I-80 highway entirely when conditions become really dangerous. So if you have AWD you don't need any chains and when theoretically chains would be required on an AWD vehicle they'll most likely close the highway completely.

Before I got a Subie I used Spikes Spider. This is a wonderful product and very popular in the Sierras. The main benefit is that its easy to put on. Snaps on within seconds, I averaged approx. 30sec per wheel. No need to move the vehicle either.

I've heard cables may be safer then chains for Subies (when installed on two wheels only) because they are thinner and kinda press into the tire, or more like tire bulges around them so there is not much tire diameter change to negatively affect AWD.

MN

Reply to
MN