Changing head gasket on a Legacy Outback 1996 2.5L engine

Hi, I think I have a leaking head gasket on my Legacy Outback 1996 (2.5L), and I've decided to change it myself. I got the Haynes repair manual, but a few things are not very clear and I was hoping to get some advice from people on this list about the following points:

  1. manual says that the procedure can be carried out without getting the engine out, but that it is difficult. What is difficult about it? The head bolts are easily accessible, but I'm a bit worried about how long they are. If they were too long, I guess it would just be impossible to take them out because they would bump against the side of the engine compartment.

  1. the manual says that the engine can be lifted by putting a jack under the oil pan. Wouldn't one need to disconnect the engine from the transaxle first? (The manual doesn't say anything about that).

  2. do I need to remove the A/C compressor? The manual just says to remove the compressor bracket, but I'm not sure the hoses are flexible enough to get the compressor out of the way while removing the intake manifold.

  1. I will be changing the timing belt at the same time. I was wondering why I should position the engine at TDC for cylinder 1? Can't I just mark the position of camshaft sprockets, remove the old belt, put the new one on, and make sure that sprockets are still in the same position?

  2. Incidentally, is cylinder 1 on the left or on the right while looking at the engine? The diagrams in the Haynes book do not have a legend to indicate how they are oriented.

  1. I have been told by someone who carried out this procedure on a really old Volvo engine that valves need to be adjusted whenever the head gasket is changed. I presume that doesn't apply to me, and I don't have to worry about valves at all. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide! Tom

Reply to
thomashow