Charcoal canister?

I am wondering about the charcoal canister on my recently purchased 87 GL wagon. Carbuerated engine. First off I want to make sure it's the charcoal canister. It's located on the passenger side of the engine down from the spare tire, about the diameter of a can of soup, but not as tall, clipped in sideways, with a 1/2" ID rubber hose coming out and going into the air intake.

Mine has what appears to be a large hole melted in it, looks to be done with a screwdriver or some other heated metal object.

Any guess as to why the previous owner would do such a thing? Where can I get a new one? Parts for this thing seem to be hard to find.

Thanks for answers to my previous post. I replaced the thermostat today, hopefully that will fix the temperature creeping and then dropping issue.

-Tom

Reply to
TT

I believe the charcoal canister is usually located very close to the fuel tank; not near the engine. Having it so far from the fuel tank would defeat much of the purpose of it.

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

Not necessarily, remember that the canister stores fuel vapors that are later burned in the engine. So, there has to be long plumbing between the front and rear of the car one way or another. Many cars have the canister located in the engine compartment, mostly older ones.

Reply to
mulder

In message - "mark jb" writes: :>

:>>I am wondering about the charcoal canister on my recently purchased 87 :>> GL wagon. Carbuerated engine. First off I want to make sure it's the :>> charcoal canister. It's located on the passenger side of the engine :>> down from the spare tire, about the diameter of a can of soup, but not :>> as tall, clipped in sideways, with a 1/2" ID rubber hose coming out and :>> going into the air intake. :>

:>I believe the charcoal canister is usually located very close to the fuel :>tank; not near the engine. Having it so far from the fuel tank would defeat :>much of the purpose of it. :>

:>-mark :>

:>

Hi On my '94 Legacy the cannister is located on the passenger side at the front of the engine compartment (right beside the rad).

Rob

Reply to
rob c