Check Engine Light Indicator on 2001 Outback Wagon

My Check Engine light just came on and I remember reading here that this is a known condition that is not as ominous as it sounds.

If anyone is familiar with this, please respond with the low-down on this issue.

Thanks Don

Reply to
Don

There's about 200 different faults and fault codes that it could be. If you're the careful type, take it in to a mechanic and have them read out the code and look up the fault.

If you're the careless type, disconnect the battery for 20 minutes and the light will go out. If it comes back on, take it in to a mechanic and have them read out the code and look up the fault.

In states with smog tests, you can't pass if you have a check engine light.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I have a 2000 outback and the check engine light has been on most of the time for the last three years. It first sarted comming on after I gasse up and sometimes it would go off after I turned the gas cap a bit. Later it would never go off and when I had the head gasked changed at about 90,000, they changed the sensor and that helped for awile. I just turned 150,000 and it is on all the time. I think I'll just put a piece of black tape over it so I can't see it.

David

Reply to
ShaihHulud

When the check engine light came on in my 96 GT Wagon, I pulled over, popped the hood and checked. The engine was still there, so I closed it and drove on.

I recently became a little more curious and ordered diagnostic software for my Palm V Organizer, which had been sitting on the shelf for the last two years. Can't wait to try it and see what it says about that engine.

Florian

Reply to
FFF

FFF wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@News.CIS.DFN.DE:

We solved the problem of an annoying CEL by pulling the fuse for about 5 minutes & then replacing. The couple times we got a "diagnosis" under warranty it said something useless like "misfire on cylinder 2" - dealer suggested replacing the plug wires (>$200!!!). I decided to do it myself. Didn't really fix the problem.

Funny thing, it doesn't really do it anymore.....

-T.O.M.-

Reply to
SkaredShtles

Reply to
Birch Plain

OK, but why does that have to cause a CEL condition? so you pay a mechanic $100 to tell you the gas cap wasn't put on properly?

florian

Reply to
FFF

On late model cars, the EPA does not permit the gas tank to be vented to the atmosphere. The tank gets connected to a charcoal cannister that absorbes the vapors. The system can't work if the cap is loose or off. Presumably, the EPA deemed this condition a defect requiring attention thus the check engine light.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I am not saying there's no cause for concern regarding fuel vapors, but I bet the majority of gas tank caps would come back on faster, if there was a simple "open cap" circuit in place. Leaking fuel systems are a completely different issue.

florian

Reply to
FFF

Sure, but that would cost the car maker another $1 for an indicator lamp.

The smart thing would be to program the ECU to blink the CEL once then leave it on for a loose gas cap. Maybe I should patent that...

Reply to
Jim Stewart