Clutch problem with 2005 Legacy GT

I live in Colorado, and was recently stuck in a traffic jam at the I70 Eisenhower Tunnel, at 11,000 feet. The grade there is about 5%, and I had to move forward many times in about 20 minutes. I was NOT holding the car in place by slipping the clutch, but it started to smell after 10-15 starts. Is this normal, or is there a chronic problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
Pete F

one thing i learned in h/school driver ed many moons ago is that on much of a grade, u should engage the parking brake before u start out and disengage it as you feel the clutch engage (smoothly). smelly clutches are scarey.

Reply to
frank