slipping clutch

Sods law clutch started slipping once i got my 77 Celica on the road, sets off ok and ok drivable, just when i put the pedal to the metal it spins and no fast starts. Now its going to be a while before i can have it done, maybe a week or so, have done 100+ miles or much more so far ok. Im wondering if i om ok for a little bit longer or is there a chance of the clutch going totally and me being stuck in the middle of no where with engine spinning and me stood still?

My backs not upto changing a clutch plate these days, so would it be about 3 hours work for a garage?

BTW nearly everyday someone stops me asking to sell it, used to be Asians with my others too but this time its just about everyone.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

As long as you avoid slipping the clutch, apart from pulling away, the chances are that it will take some time before it gets to the point of not driving at all. Weeks rather than days. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I've had a slipping clutch on my Carlton for the last 6k miles! Just don't put the pedal to the metal! You will notice at least 50+ more miles to the tank, amazhing as I never knew a clutch could effect the mpg for a car :-) If your Celica has an expensive dual mass flywheel and you don't have a spare I would recomend changing it sooner rather than later!

Reply to
Will Reeve

thanks, i need to tow a car but wont until its sorted.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

think its bog standard type.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

The higher the gear you're in the more likely it is to slip. So, if going up hills change down sooner than later. Also, if the clutch has got hot it will slip more, so you may find that by letting it cool down you're OK again for a while.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

yes noticed that

I do get lots of people asked me why i rev the engine as i change down/up? always get that wrong. It comes natural to me esp going up or down hills not to get jerkyness so to match the flywheel with the engine revs.

never noticed anyone else do it.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

I think they are down shifts you are talking about. I try to do the same as presumably it increases clutch life (my cars last clutch has done 145k miles, including some Santa Pod runs, but is now on it's last legs!). I have never mastered heel and toe which is the correct way to do it!

Will

JULIAN HALES wrote:

Reply to
Will Reeve

My pedals are ok plus my feet are about the right size, do the odd LFB tho, goes back to my days when i had a RWD sunbeam and had it on the tracks, nice car but way underpowerd in basic form.

For the Celica i managed to get new rotar arm, dizzy, plugs all i needed but coming to the HT leads wa a nightmare, twice given the wrong ones and got a call to say the ones i need are like £45 ish. ouch

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Yep, you can usually nurse a slipping clutch for a fair while but they tend to be down to the rivets already and it just ends up with more damage to the flywheel.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Had that many moons ago on a Morris Marina, that slipped so much i couldnt move.

Hopefully done this week.

BTW i just went out to change the dizzy top and rotar arm, the arm went fine but then after ages i found out the dizzy top was wrong, must be less than a mm and looks the same.

Now i need to clean off the finger marks before i return it.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

No, it's double declutching. Heel-and-toe is where you want to save time and brake at the same time as changing gear. If you're racing you may need to brake but be in a different gear when you stop braking. You wouldn't want to then have to change gear before you accelerated away again, so you do both at the same time, using the heel for one pedal and toe for the other.

Rob

Reply to
Robin Graham

Isn't double de-clutching (I am young remeber:-) ) when you lift the clutch up in Neutral and increase revs between gear changes to get something spinning in the gearbox at revs so you can then then engage the correct gear? I thought the OP was just matching the new input revs (of the gearbox) to the flywheel revs, so just clutch down, increace revs, clutch up?

Will

Reply to
Will Reeve

yes, last time i D-D clutch was some really old A40 i think, or a moggy thou.

Not i give a quick blip when going up hills from 4th down to third etc.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES