Clutch problem? I dont know.

Im trying to figure out what this could be. I first thought it was slipping of the clutch, but my friend seems to think is something wrong with the transmission. I bought a 1996 Tacoma 4cyl about 2 weeks ago. This is a weekend truck, so I havent driven it much since I bought it. When I first test drove it, it ran great, no problems. I then brought the truck to my mechanic the next day, again drove with no problem, great. The next day I brought it back to the owner, ran great. My mechanic did say the clutch had about 25% of its life left, and depending on how I drove, it may last up to a year. The next night after I brought the truck to the mechanic, we transfered the title in my name. When I drove the truck home, I started to get what I thought (or what it is) slipping of the clutch. Heres what happened. I would proceed to put the clutch in first, and the stick would "slip" or move back into neutral. This would happen as I release the clutch pedal. At first, holding the stick in the gear seemed to work, but then the gear grinded a bit, so that was a no go. I then tried second gear, and it worked fine. When I tried to go into third gear, it did the same thing. Someone did mention that I should check my transmissionn fluid. Is there a resorvior for this? If not, what do I look for? This only happen that night, since then, ive driven the truck twice, and it didnt happen.

If anyone has ANY suggestions/comments, please post them. Thanks.

Reply to
SW Monkey

Not a clutch problem, a slipping clutch would cause the rpms to go up while in gear with no power going to the rear wheels, plus you smell a burning smell. Sounds like a loose slave clutch cylinder maybe? Fluid is checked by removing the bolt to the fill hole on the side of the tranny and sticking your finger in it.

Reply to
Speedy

[...]

=A0=A0I then tried second gear, and it worked fine.

Thanks. //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// snipped-for-privacy@boosted.net (Speedy) was practicing his quick draw when he took this shot from the hip..........

Not a clutch problem, a slipping clutch would cause the rpms to go up while in gear with no power going to the rear wheels, plus you smell a burning smell.

Fluid is checked by removing the bolt to the fill hole on the side of the tranny and sticking your finger in it.

Sounds like a loose slave clutch cylinder maybe? //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Pop Bunkle came running out the barn thinking there was a rat in the cow feed........

MAYBE ....not?

Monkey Man.........

get thee to a veterinarian.... yer dawgs is need'n some diagnose'n.

and........ carry yer silverware.......you may need a fork.

be carefull though......... you may get the shaft.

pop bunkle ~takes a long draw off his rabbit tobacco.... and waits fer the effect~

Reply to
Pop Bunkle

You failed to say how many miles on vehicle. It could be the dark green nylon/plastic washer under the shift lever mechanism. It frequently cracks or breaks and causes the same described problem. Not know prior service given the vehicle I would drain the trans oil and replace it with syntetic fluid (I use Valvoline - but some swear by RedLine). Easy to refill when you have shifter off. Mechanic must have x-ray vision to know that 25% of clutch is left --- or you have 75k miles and he figures 100k is average.

Reply to
Wolfgang

How easy is it to change the transmission fluid? Im a pretty good do-it-yourselfer, but ive never changed transmission fluid before. I forgot to mention the mileage, 74,000 miles. Another thing I forgot to mention was this only happen the night I drove the truck home. Since then, Ive driven it twice, and it hasnt happen. Why would it come and go?

Reply to
SW Monkey

There is a green plastic bearing that the shifter handle pivits on thats part of the top cover plate. It has cracked. Its easy to change, cost @ 10 bucks. I had the same problem at 80k miles.

PJ

Reply to
P J

I want to say my 93 had a plastic or rubber piece under the shifter boot that you see in the cab that cracked, fell down and blocked the shifter from going all the way forwards or backwards which prevented me from getting it all the way in gear. I think that this is the same thing you guys are referring to. But since I wasn't as brave back then about doing my own repairs I can't say for sure that this is it. I do know it was a cheap fix, even at the dealer!

Reply to
Bard