Convert an outback to diesel?

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert an outback to run on diesel? Or is it possible to retorfit a VW diesel engine to fit into an outback?

Reply to
dieselsubi

"Anything is possibe given enough time & money"

A gas engine cannot be converted to deisel.

you'd need a heck of an adapter built to mate a vw engine up.... Not sure you'd get any better fuel economy tho.

Josh Assing

Reply to
mike

I do not think that a non boxer engine can fit in an outback. Use LPG instead

jph

You'd have to do a lot of work, probably not worth the trouble. Just buy a diesel car and be done with it.

Reply to
Ragnar

Reply to
Edward Hayes

You can put just about any engine in any car, but the question is do you want to? Especially when you consider how complicated the AWD system is on an Outback. If you are doing this to save money, the money spent doing the conversion may be far more than the money saved on fuel over the life of the car.

As for a straight conversion, it can't be done. If you've ever seen the inside of a diesel engine, the parts are very different and much stronger than those in a gasoline engine. By the time you finished it would be a completely different engine. As someone else said, if you really want a diesel sell your Outback and buy a diesel.

Me thinks you've been watching too many episodes of Monster Garage. :-)

Reply to
Sheldon

Agreed... Before I bought my subie, I was looking at the diesel engines. I was looking at the vw lines and the jeep lines, and thought that I could get more bang for my buck if I went to diesel.

Now, after a couple of months, I'm glad that I stuck with gas. It seems like the gas prices dropped while the diesel stayed around 2.75 to 3.00 a gallon.

Reply to
wiz561

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I suggest you read the May 2006 issue of "Peterson's 4 Wheel and Off-road" magazine for the real issues going on. But what they don't mention is how much the oil companies had to pay to re-tool because of the new regulations imposed on them by GWB and the Republican-lead Congress. Not that you'd believe it anyway.

Reply to
Ken Finney