Covered by warranty?

Hello all,

We bought a 2003 Forester for my wife last year, and it now has 25,000 miles on it. Recently my wife noticed a strange sound when braking, so she took the car in to have this problem checked, and also to have a regular oil change.

Well, the dealership (in Southern California) charged her for the oil change and also for a "brake service," bringing the total to over $50. I think this is a ripoff... shouldn't any brake problems be covered by the 36,000-mile warranty?

Thanks,

T.

Reply to
Tyler Barbour

The oil change you're on the hook for obviously. The brake service...Well, it depends on what the brake service entailed, I suppose, but you may be right if they charged you for any pads. Maybe they resurfaced your rotors? Dunno.

Interestingly, on

It claims that your warranty is:

Warranties- Bumper-to-bumper: 3 year/36,000 miles

3year/36,000 Service Adjustment (adjustment performed one time) 3yr/36000 miles roadside assistance (through Cross Country Motor Club) 3year/36,000 mile Wear Item Warranty covers keyless remote battery, BRAKE PAD/SHOE LININGS, clutch disc lining, wiper blades Roadside assistance: 3 year/36,000 miles Powertrain: 5 year/ 60,000 miles Corrosion: 5 year/100,000 miles

The dealer has little incentive to scew you on this. They get paid I believe either way--either by you or Subaru. Maybe they make less margin off subuaru and consciously stuck you, or maybe they just goofed. All depends on what they did. Ask the service manager for clarification, and indicate that brake linings should be included in the 36k warranty. Do it in a matter of fact dispassionate professional way, and let us know how it goes!

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

If you get no reasonable explanation then call the "district service rep" eddie

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I think that is a fair price.

Reply to