Specks of rust on wheels covered by warranty?

I have a 2003 Camry (24K miles) and 3-year warranty expires next month. I noticed some specks of rust appeared on each wheel (regular and not alloy). All the wheels and hubcaps are free of any dents or scratches, the specs of rust are in places that could not be hit by any flying stones, i.e. they are not impact related.

Is such a rust covered under warranty and which one, is it 3-year warranty? If so then what Toyota is supposed to do with them, replace the wheels or treat the rust somehow?

Reply to
maruk2

The dealership will inspect the wheels for signs of impact or chipping from stones or road debris. If they find that the paint is broken, then the rust will not be covered. The wheels are covered under the 36 month, 36,000 mile warranty. If they decide to provide warranty coverage, they will probably re-paint the wheels.

Reply to
Ray O

If it was covered under warranty, they would sand off the rust and put some spray paint on it. A warranty just means that it must be repaired, not replaced. Since the steel wheels have hubcaps, it doesn't have to repaired perfectly.

The actual warranty language says the following:

Rust-Through Coverage: 60 months/unlimited miles (corrosion perforation of sheet metal).

Specs of rust are not corrosion perferation, and your steel wheels are not sheet metal. So if they refuse to clean up the rust specs, just sand and repaint them yourself.

Reply to
Mark A

Or replace with a set of white spokers. That's sure to impress the neighbors:

harriswest

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

... and I had a set on a Scout, back when. Not bad rims at all but perhaps "less than appropriate" for a Camry

Reply to
harriswest

Yes they are! Theyre pressed from steel sheet just like your body panels, only thicker. Though im sure for the purposes of warranty Toyota would not define them as so.

Reply to
Coyoteboy