Dealer wants $95 to replace filter for A/C-heater

It seemed a bit much to me and he didn't say it was bad, just that it was scheduled to be replaced. What is it and how much should it cost?

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

If it is same as cabin air filter in my Forester, it is probably reasonable as filters list for about $50 and labor requires taking out a dozen screws to remove glove box to access.

Personally I went to buy one at dealer but balked at price which I think is ridiculous. What I have done a couple of times is take out filter and dust and wash it off and reuse. Others have suggested you could replace the element DIY with a cut out piece of furnace filter.

Reply to
Frank

Depends on the model. Subaru's seen to vary how they construct the glovebox'es. Foresters seem to be the easiest. Some older ones are accessed from under the dash. newer ones the glovebox is a unit to be removed. Some Legacy's you remove the glovebox door, then have 3 on the top of the inner area. Others require some disassembly of the shifter assy to remove screws.

What year make model do you have?

Reply to
S.Hansen

'07 Impreza Outback Sport SE w/ 5 speed standard trans.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

I THINK you can find instructions at

.

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I found them here:

Looks like 2007 is even easier than the 2002.

$15-20 and 20-30 minutes, and the dealer only wanted $95.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

Don't be so hard on a dealer, your paying for more than just a filter. Your paying for a tech that knows how to get any airfilter out in minimal time without scaring up the dash. One car came in for a basic whatever job, and the tech noticed the scar in the glove door, but all cars have a scar in it somewhere. However, the customer complained that the scar happened during this service, so we replaced a door. It was obvious someone had tried to get to it but screwed it up. The Tech had over 20 years on subies, seen him do some amazing things on cars- have a hard time thinking a glovebox would give him fits. Also remember, it isn't cheap to run a shop. At Firestone, it took $1500 every day to pay all the bills every month. That would just break the store even, to pay its bills, no profit.

Reply to
S.Hansen