differences between Impreza and Outback Sport in snow? (05)

Hi All,

Right now I'm deciding between a 2005 Outback Sport and Impreza and was wondering if anyone had any experiences or info about these cars in winter conditions.

I'm pretty sure they're both capable, the Impreza is a little bit lower, but reportedly there's a bit of a difference in the suspension. I test drove 'em and actually feel like the Impreza handles better, which I assume correlates to better handling in the snow. (I'm a lifelong snow driver.)

Thanks, dave

Reply to
davcron

I have an '05 Outback Sport. I live in the Mammoth/June Lake area in California (severe winter climate in terms of snowfall......almost 600in last winter). I spent a good chunk of the year driving on snow and ice. The car is much better suited to handling winter conditions than a regular Impreza. You get extra ground clearance, extra clearance in the wheel wells (easier to remove ice buildup, fewer problems when ice releases while driving, and a much easier time putting chains on when they become mandatory), extra body protection in the wheel wells. The suspension feels softer and is supposed to have a little more travel, which should translate to better rough-road handling. In my mind, if winter driving is a concern, it's either an Outback Sport or a WRX with a bunch of mods.

Nothing is for free, though. You do give up some dry handling, courtesy of the softer suspension.

If you go with the OS, make sure and get some real winter tires. I got by alright with the crappy Potenzas that came stock, never got stuck, only spun out once (ice), but they really didn't hold up well, and they are about the worst tires in snow and ice I've ever driven on in such conditions. I replaced them after only 18kmi. They didn't handle rain too well, either. Seems kinda stupid that they put such a mediocre fair-weather tire on what is supposed to be a bad weather version of the Impreza. So, if you get one, buy a second set of wheels and put some good all-season or snow tires on them.

Note that the OS currently only comes with the 2.5L non-turbocharged engine. Not too shabby at 165hp, but not nearly as fun as the WRX. Maybe consider a WRX with some suspension mods and wheel-well armor if you're regularly in snow. The new car warranty is still good if you do Subaru authorized mods.

Reply to
Pete Schaefer