Does anyone know what's inside the rear hatch on a WRX wagon?

Hey, all.

I'm considering sticking some expanding foam in the space between the felt 'liner' of my 02 WRX wagon rear door and the door itself. I have a large stereo subwoofer in the back, and _something_ in there is rattling. I think it's some of the wiring tapping against the metal of the door. ;)

I'm considering several options, including stuffing some small blocks of soft foam in the space to press the wiring in place, or perhaps even using some of that expanding spray foam.

I don't think there are any 'moving' parts in there, just wiring. So I don't think there's much risk of problems if I gently pack some foam in that space.

Does anyone agree/disagree??

Thanks!!

Reply to
BD

In my 95 Legacy, there are a couple of rods that link the hatch keylock mechanism to the latch mechanism. If I filled it with foam I wouldn't be able to lock/unlock the hatch anymore.

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Mm. I expect I should be seeing the same thing. Perhaps covering those rods with some kind of half-pipe before sticking the foam in will be enough.

Or, I guess I could use small foam blocks and simply target the areas that have obvious bits of wiring...

Reply to
BD