does this qualify as a problem?

Recently I had to get a new car - the old one was falling apart in slow motion but at least there was plenty of time to shop. Eventually I settled on a Subaru WRX - my first new car ever but also first AWD turbo ? and have been very happy with it. No modifications needed.

Even though the car has no spoiler, no decorations of any kind, is that generic silver color, and has nothing to change the stock look of it, I'm having a problem with the local idiot teenage ricers. They all seem to think that the mere act of driving a WRX to work, to the store to get groceries, to the gym after work (what ever) is an invitation to race them. LOL nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm starting to cringe every time I see a Neon plastered with stickers and the usual surfboard-sized wing nailed to the trunk .. the Folgers can exhaust system .. complete with the pimply driver who's not old enough to start shaving and who thinks that somehow the stickers make the car faster.

Reply to
Darth Suzette

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:55:35 GMT, Darth Suzette wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@deathstar.org:

So trade the WRX badge to one of those pimply kids for the badge on his father's TS or RS and he'll inherit the attention.

Reply to
Dave Null Sr.

This doesn't qualify as a problem atall. Either leave them for dead or ignore them, according to personal preference. One of the nice things about driving a genuinely fast car is that you have nothing to prove.

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

"Darth Suzette" wrote

Ignoring them definitely works. However I have read some of the message boards these guys use and the funny thing is if they think that they are racing you, then they are, whether you are actually participating or not. All so they can put a WRX on their "kill" list. A co-worker of mine has the same problem when he drives his 427 cobra replica. (He has lots of practice giving the "ya... right" look).

Yep. You'll also notice when they talk about mods to their car the first and most expensive thing listed in the stereo system. :-)

Personally, I find these kids are pretty amusing and I take great pride in mocking their efforts to intimidate others without actually doing anything to make their car faster. If you are like-minded, go here and have a look at the "hall of shame":

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Yeah it's true. I get 100HP more with my 12 inch wide sticker. Brighter stickers make car faster.

"Darth Suzette" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@deathstar.org...

Reply to
Philippe Javaux

you'll get even more power if the sticker says "Type R." ;o)

Tony

Reply to
Anthony

Thanks for the link .. what a hoot that page is!

Still not sure if the WRX qualifies as a "really fast" car .. but then, it's totally stock and hasn't gone over 80mph yet - just haven't seen the point in getting speeding tickets.

So far I am avoiding the ricer kids like the plague. The only really obnoxious one was in front of me on a country lane where everyone speeds and where the road is too unsafe for passing anywhere. He would keep slowing down until he was quite close, then stomp on the brakes to get even closer, and then speed up again and repeat the pattern. What a dork! Anyway I took the next turn elsewhere and got rid of the loser.

Oh yeah, and his cart was a beat-up Neon with what looked like a 6-foot homemade aluminum wing pop-riveted to the trunk lid. Spe-shul,

Darth Suzette

Then there is the extra boost from putting a Japanese sticker on your car. Its particularly rebellious if you put in on upside-down because you don't know how to read Japanese.

Reply to
Brian

Well, according to your site I am a "rice boy" since I do have stickers from TurboXS, Perrin, Tein, K&N, Autometer, Apex-i, NOS, STi, Blitz, VIS, Rota, Falken and PDE on my car (and also a "Type-R Motorsports" sticker but that is the name of the shop that assists me with my mods.) However I don't quite fit the normal category of "Ricer", my car does compete in autocross events as well as drag and sanctioned road race events (AARRF). I actually have the mods that I list on my car:

TurboXS UTEC Perrin Up-Pipe, swaybars, intercooler hoses, brakes Tein Suspension K&N Filter Apex-i Exhaust (yes the 4" tipped N1 exhaust, have you seen how congested the stock muffler is...looks like a Bose bandbass subwoofer enclosure) Autometer Gauges and Gauge Pods STi Injectors/Headlamps NOS Nitrous Oxide System PDE Downpipe Blitz SBC-ID Boost Controller and Blow off valve VIS Carbon Fibre Hood Rota Wheels (17" Tarmacs) Falken Azenis Tires

Actually, with these stickers on I very seldom get challenged at the lights....funny how that works isn't it?

Hope I changed some peoples minds about stickered cars, we aren't all after just the image, some of us do race and are proud of the parts we have acquired to make our cars faster and more enjoyable to drive.

Reply to
WRXtreme

Did you read what a real "rice-boy" is? In my understanding, it's someone who has modified their car to make it *look* faster, without actually modifying what's under the hood.

eg: some of the idiots around my town have put grills and body-kits on their stock Hyundai Excels and lowered them. so much so that they "bottom out" on the speedbumps at McDonalds :-p like I said, idiots

Cheers, Paul.

Reply to
paul