Driveplate bolts -- left or right turn to get off?

Hi all

I have my engine out and would like to replace the drive plate as it is all bent up.

The bolts that attach this to the crank shaft are these regular (lefty loosy, righty tighty :) bolts or what? The tightening torque in the manual is only 51-55 lbs but these suckers are on there. I don't want to snap them by doing something stupid.

Thanks! Remco

Reply to
Remco

They loosen just like all the other fasteners on the car. The only time I have ever seen "reverse threaded" bolts was on old Chrysler products. Chrysler used reversed threaded lug nuts on the passenger side of the vehicle back in the 50s and into the 60s.

Reply to
johninKY

Thanks, John. Just wanted to make sure before I give it a serious try. Was I right on the torque? If so, these things must tighten themselves as the car runs.

Reply to
Remco

Somebody mentioned in an earlier post that these bolts MUST be Locktited in place to prevent them coming loose. Maybe that's why they are so hard to get out???

Dave

Reply to
Coggo

Yeah, they are probably locktited in. These things just in there beyond all belief, though (way beyond the spec, even with the locktite) Didn't get a chance to do anything today, but I don't think I'll use a gun (yet) - a 1/2 " breaker bar will probably do it.

Reply to
Remco

If they are in with Loctite, warm them up first. I had that sort of problem with a different make on the crankshaft pulley bolt, and heating (not excessively, just until too hot to hold) was the recommended action.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Use a quality 6 point socket. ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

CCW loosens them. Use an impact to remove, and to re-install. Use the lowest torque setting. On my IR 1/2in impact, this works out to be

50-60ftlb, but check yours with a torque wrench (a lug nut makes a good test subject) if you're unsure. Loctite is recommended, use the "blue" stuff. Do take the opportunity to replace the rear main seal while you're in there.

ByeBye! S.

Thanks - we had snow so didn't have an opportunity to do it yet (the car's outside as the garage is full). I was a little afraid to use the rattle gun, but that sounds good.

That rear seal idea is a good one. Didn't think of that... Thanks!

Remco KB1ZB/Pe1DGC (a long time ago, that is :)

Reply to
Remco