Dying Clutch - how old?

Hey guys,

I have here a '94 Subaru Legacy Turbo Super Station with a slipping clutch. I have a fax here in my hands that says that the clutch was changed one year and 20'000 kms ago. Now this is definitely not an age for a clutch to die - had one changed in another turbo at 210'000 kms. So what can be wrong?

- mechanic didn't take care while doing the swap

- mechanic didn't mount a new clutch but rather one from a wrecked Subie or something

- mechanic didn't change the seal with the clutch and now its leaking oil

- oil is leaking from somewhere else

question is now: How to find out the easy way and how to cure it? Anyone with similar experiences?

TIA,

Mike

Reply to
Michael Szoenyi

Your clutch may simply need adjustment. A new clutch can sometimes take a bit to burn in, or achieve a constant rate of wear, but until it reaches that point, the clutch may require regular adjustment. Make sure there is about 1" of freeplay in the clutch petal, if not the clutch is not disengaging completely and will behave as if it is slipping. If it is the hydaulic clutch actuation type (as opposed to the cable) this problem is less likely, but not completely improbable.

Reply to
ceraboy

It definitely is a hydraulic clutch, as I wanted to adjust it when I bought the car to get a better pedal play. I (actually "we" = several people) didn't find a way how to adjust this hydraulic clutch!

Thanks anyway, Mike.

Reply to
Michael Szoenyi