ECU codes P0420 and P1442

Hi, My wife's 2002 Impreza 2.5 TS reports codes P0420 and P1442. First one is about the oxygen sensor - the diagnostic tool shows it works fine - there must be somre rare condition which triggers that. So I just choose to ignore it.

However second one: 1442 - I can find what it means. Does anybody know what it could be?

Thx in advance, Andy

Reply to
Andy Leszczynski

P1442 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Range/Perf

------------------------------------

Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

PO420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold

P1442 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Range/Perf

Andy,

This is what the chart that I have shows as the cause. Kinda Cryptic, but maybe a google will help decode this.

Bill

What are the miles on this and has any work been done recently?

Reply to
Bill Pelka

This site has all the codes listed and methods of testing pre OBDII systems.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka

Lists the P1442 as "EVAP Vacuum Switch Hi Volts during Ignition on". Might be a loose connection on the switch causing the detection circuit no to load down and the voltage to read high. Maybe a "Rodent" ate thru the wires, the connection came loose or there is corrosion in the connection. Good Luck...I have no idea where to find the switch or if Subaru even has one...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka

You must not be an area that has yearly inspections. Won't pass around here with a light on so ignoring it is not an option. For what its worth the 420 code is not an O2 sensor code. It is a catalyst problem code. There is an O2 sensor before the cat and one after the cat. The reading between the 2 is compared to determine if the cat is functioning properly. If you determined both O2s are working correct (as you stated) than it may be getting time for a new cat. Did you reset the code and did it come back on?

Reply to
calhoun

WTF did my reply go? I replied last night and told you exactly what the error code was.

Reply to
xblazinlv

Txh for all the input. I will reset the computer (by disconnecting the battery) and observe if it goes off again.

A.

Reply to
Andy Leszczynski

Googling gave this thread on another forum with more details on the P1442 (including what to do about it):

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee