Engine Oil

Hi,

Is it normal for a new engine oil to become really black (and I mean black!) after 4,000km? Oil filter was also replaced at the same time.

If not, what could be the likely cause?

Thanks.

Al

1995 Subaru LX
Reply to
al

Depends on how black. Color is often a poor means of determining what shape the oil is in. If you're really concerned, get a sample analyzed.

There is no single "likely cause". I could imagine the following:

  • Additives break down. * Dusty conditions. * Worn rings. * Fuel contamination. * Air filter seal compromised or a leak somewhere letting in unfiltered air.
Reply to
y_p_w