Tuning my 2002 WRX

Hey everyone,

I am thinking about tuning up my WRX (2002). I was wondering where I should start if the ultimate goal is to add some horsepower to the car. I hear all these things about computer chips, intakes, exhaust, headers, and so forth. What is the best direction to go first? I don't really want to go above $600 on the first upgrade...Any recommendations?

If anyone does answer with exhaust or intake and so forth...what type of that part would you recommend?

Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Reply to
IBASupaGuy

Take a look here:

Jim Stewart

exhaust.

turboxs makes a classic turbo-back system. the turbo back consists of downpipe, midpipe, resonator pipe, and muffler. the muffler is aka an "axle back." a "cat back" system goes up to the midpipe, where the last of the factory cats is. depending on your viewpoints of keeping cats on your car, you can free up a moderate (20) to a large amount (30+) of horsepower.

hth ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

My first upgrade is going to be a Cobb Tuning Accessport

It's a ECU reflash that allows you to reflash your chip once and then change maps on the fly. The recommended base map (if you don't have a catless downpipe) is either their 91 octane or 93 octane stage

1 map, which, according to Cobb's numbers, adds 25 hp to your car off the bat. The great part of the AccessPort is it's built to allow safe tuning based on your upgrades, so if down the road I get a catless downpipe, I can change to the Stage 2 map and gain a lot more power. If you don't want to tune the car yourself or get it tuned on a dyno by a pro, the AccessPort is the way to go. It's around $600 right now and very backordered because they can't keep up with the demand. I ordered mine 2 months ago and I'm still waiting, but most people agree that it's one of the best first mods you can get for your car because Cobb is a trusted tuner (they only work with Subarus) and you can download new maps based on your car set up once you start adding mods.

Jen :: The Vodkinator :: killing people and burning down trees ::

The Vodkinator