Engine replacement

My 04 Forester has again developed piston slap. Subaru installed a rebuilt short block at 80k km, but now at 130k km on this block the noise is back and getting progressively worse. My mechanic told me that the problem has been resolved in the newer blocks with proper milling temperatures, annealing and teflon coated piston skirts.

My question is, how can I find out what is the latest model block that will drop in to my '04? Does anyone have a link to a part cross reference? Parts dealers will sell you anything you ask for so I want to be sure that I ask for the right part.

New Foresters look too much like a Rav 4 for my tastes so I want to keep this one alive. I know that piston slap is not a huge issue and the thing will probably go another 200k km, but I'd like to be able to order a coffee through the window without shutting it off like diesel truck owners have to do!

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
4orester

Try running 20W50 oil and see if it quiets down enough to be bearable.

Reply to
clare

I got 50 miles at 30mph and 30 miles at 50 mph in my Fiat 128 running on 8 golf cart 6 volt batteries and an old aircraft generator back in the early 80's

Cost a quarter to recharge it from 120 volts overnight.

Reply to
clare