New Tundra Engine Noise - Valves/Fuel Injectors ??

I own a Tundra 2003 Limited with 12,000 KM. I just got it as a dealer demo so it is 2000 KM new to me. The truck is nice but it has a very annoying engine noise, particularly when cold. To me it sounds like an old car with loose rocker arms. A constant "tick-tick-tick" that is clearly audible in the cab of the truck. It is particularaly bad when it is cold, even if the engine has warmed up. I doubt Toyota would have designed an engine with that type of noise as being acceptable....I have a old 91 sunbird that idles quieter. I'm not saying it sounds like the engine is going to fall out, just noisy enough to sound suspicious for a $40k + vehicle. The dealer tells me it is how the fuel injectors should sound. I don't buy that explanation.

Anyone else ever seen/heard/read of anything like this?

Thank You

Reply to
WP

Piston slap. It's quite normal when cold, but should go away once the engine warms up. As people demand more power, more efficiency, and cleaner emissions, engineers have had to move the rings up, shorten the piston skirt, and move the wristpin up. The result is a less stable piston than the old 350 Chevy had.

Relax, our pistons are a ceramic composition and are actually as tough as forged pistons.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Got an '02 with same noise when cold, but goes away once warmed up. The colder the start the louder it is. Get far enough above freezing and no noise on a cold start at all.

It sounds to me like valve-train noise, not piston-slap as some promote. Since the engine uses solid lifters, it is likely that something is out of adjustment. Your engine sounds more out than mine, since the noise stays after full warmup. I would have them adjust your valvetrain. My noise completely disappears whem warmed. For 40 large, they should not be bluffing you. They can re-shim.

Mine, I don't care because I'm getting rid of it soon.

If they refuse, try different dealerships. If that doesn't work, call the

1-800 Complaint#.

Reply to
Bob H

It is piston slap. And its normal. If you start it up, let it idle for a minute or 2 before pedalling it, you'll never hear it. Shows up when its real cold.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

My ('02) ticking//whatever lasts for a good 8-15 minutes, depending on outside temps.

I have let the truck warm up for like 5 mins., and it's still noisy on pullaway depending on outside temps.

Weird.

Great engine otherwise. Wish the rig was 1,000 pounds lighter tho, and had an auto. 5 speed. Now we're talkin.

Reply to
Bob H

Reply to
Jonathan

Re-read my post above.

People want power. People want efficiency. The government wants reduced emissions.

The rings and wristpin have been moved up and the skirt has been shortened. These help keep unburned gasses from being trapped and reduce friction between the piston and cylinder wall. The bad side effect is that the piston is less stable and you hear piston slap.

Nothing anybody can do about it. It's here to stay, and will continue to be a problem.

At least Toyota has done it in a manner that does not have engines blowing up.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Bob, you may not be hearing a piston slap. Maybe have the clearances checked?

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Emissions pal. Shorter skirts reduce friction etc, but pistong get sideways in cylinders. It not an issue, has zero affect on the life of the engine. Its only heard on cold start ups with lots of throttle and little to no loads. Gone with a minute of idling.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Perfect Rich! ;D

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Could also be a cracked manifold. This too usually goes away when it warms up, but it may have gone unnoticed until now... drowned out by the piston slap :)

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

OK then, all modern engines should be suffering from this problem. I read on the alt.trucks.chevy newsgroup that the new vortec engines seem to be prone to this. How about Ford & Dodge?

Reply to
Jonathan

Ford had a huge problem on the 5.4, they replaced it for a while, then took the stance that it was normal and would not hurt anything.

Reply to
Jarius1

I've had the same problem with my brand new 2003 Highlander from day

  1. And I got the same explaination from the dealer. I can't believe Toyota can't figure out a way to fix this problem.
Reply to
Steve