04 Forrester engine replacement

I have an 04 Forrester auto with 77000 km showing, bought used at 52k. At

72k, the dreaded piston slap began and rapidly increased to the point where it no longer goes away. The new lower half (short block) will be installed on Monday - under warranty. I'm getting the dealer to replace the timing belt and install a block heater while the thing is apart. The belt may not show any signs (or very little) of wear, but it is 1/2 way to the suggested replacement point, so it is worth the hundred bucks, I think.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other things I should have done to the car while the block is out and the labour is free? Heads? Valve seals? Suspension? Mounts? Tranny? Electrical? etc?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Sandy Hawes

Good question!

I suppose it depends on what you know of the service history.

Not in the engine area but, in my opinion, an overlooked service issue can be brake fluid. Have the system flushed. And be very watchful of the temperature gauge after they deliver the car back to you. Call them if there is the silghtest abnormal behavior with temp. Have them inspect and maybe rotate the tires while it's in the shop I guess.

maybe someone else will have some ideas.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I would find out if the engine is one of the ones with the gasket problems too. Use Google Groups to search for all the discussions, many web sites with resources have been posted you might want to look at concerning that issue.

At the very least, have the gaskets inspected, and before they pull it all apart get the coolant tested for hydrocarbons and look for bubbles in your overflow tank.

And make sure you get the "coolant conditioner" added back and DOCUMENTATION that says they did that. (Get a copy and keep it in a safe place.) You will need that to get the free gasket replacement when they go if it's one of the problematic engines.

Are you sure the piston slap is not because it overheated due to drained coolant? Have the gaskets been changed? (The dealer might have the history for that.) If it ran low or nearly empty on coolant a while you can get noises that sounds like piston slap but really is a worn or slightly warped cylinder.

Basically, if you can f>

Reply to
.._..

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:39:19 GMT, against all advice, something compelled ".._.." , to say:

If he's getting a short block, he'll get new gaskets, Shirley?

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Right. I guess the guy didn't actually read my original post - or maybe he did and I should have mentioned I have all the service records from the time the thing was new and it really is just piston slap. At any rate, head gaskets are not a multiple-use item, neither are head bolts. Maybe he had a bad experience at a shop with a Subaru repair and now all is darkness within his soul.......

.......and don't call me Shirley! ;)

Reply to
Sandy Hawes