Entire model lineup reccomended by Consumer Reports

I don't own a Subaru yet but I am in the throes of passion and very lustful towards STi's.

So it was a wake up call when a certain post was made suggesting that Subaru were not well made or engineered.

So I hit my Barnes and Nobles and did some research.

At least for the 05 line up, Subaru is the ONLY manufacturer that there entire line is recommended by Consumer Reports.

I think by this any previous malady that may have cursed this manufacturer has been alleviated.

Thank you.

Reply to
AustinMini.OsiTech.Net

That's just our resident troll. Most newsgroups have several, we only have one.

While there was a time that the bodies were plagued by almost instant rust, the engines have been bulletproof and long lasting well back into the 1970s. Subaru engines are pulled from wrecks to be used in homebuilt aircraft, among other hobby projects. I've personally seen Subaru odometers with mileage in excess of 400,000 on the original engine.

The new models are arguably better than the old ones in many respects, however they do retain the durability and resistance to neglect that the old models had. The new Legacy is quite a striking car, and although the doors still clatter when slammed (due to frameless glass) the fit and finish is at or near Toyota and Honda standards, and light years ahead of Ford and GM.

The old models are chock full of weirdness that either endears or alienates. Spare tire above the engine? Parking brake on the front wheels? Bizarre styling? Rear facing jumpseats in the back of a tiny pickup truck? Let's not forget the secret headlight behind the grille emblem. If you're looking for a unique car, look no further than a Subaru BRAT or, if you prefer something a bit newer, a Subaru SVX.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

There is no such thing as weird things or people. Its just that they have excussive character!!!

Brian '04 OBW

Reply to
Brian K. M.

You'll see that in any automotive newsgroup or forum...people mostly post when they have a problem they need help with. What you don't see is the lack of posts from all the people (like me 99% of the time) that are not having any problems with their Subarus

Reply to
Dominic Richens

To the weirdness factor, I could add:

Hillholder Had it on my old 1988 RX turbo, spring broke while driving during the night, brake never released, car had to be towed out of the intersection. I still miss this old RX, my favorite car I ever add

Bizzare bolt pattern 4x120 or something like that. it is almost impossible to have allow wheels for an older Subaru, I had 13 inch aluminum wheels with 205/60R13 tires on my RX

Charles Leblanc

2000 IMpreza wagon

message

manufacturer

Reply to
Charlez

I think that some old Peugeot models used the same bolt pattern, but other than that you just can't find wheels for them. The hillholder was unique as well, although I believe that Studebakers used them first.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

  • I have owned two Subarus -- a '98 Forester and an '01 Outback wagon.

I loved both of them -- I still have the Outback.

Great cars -- I've had no significant problems with either one.

earle

*
Reply to
Earle Jones