Examine this 96 Legacy.

The white stuff on the roof and on the other vehicles is clearly snow, but what¹s the discoloration on the front bumper of the red Legacy? It reminds me of times when I¹ve spray-painted plastic, and then the paint started cracking/peeling off. Does it look like the car had been repainted?

Reply to
PCB

Normally the darker colors have faded on Subaru's of this year, normally on the plastic bumper covers and sometimes the hood/roof. I think it has been repainted, and it is peeling off the bumper. The rest of the car looks very good in the photo, maybe too good, so yes may have been repainted also. Hard to know from just a photo.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Why does the "bumper strip" trim/moulding on the center of the doors appear to be painted? Why are the mirrors and their attatching pieces entirely painted to match? Looks fishy, but maybe that make/model just came with those parts painted to match?

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

I don't think it's been repainted, I think it hit something strong enough to push in the bumper, then it 'popped' out, causing the paint to crack. Nowadays these bumpers are 'colored' versus painted, but back in the day, I bet they just formed them all in white then painted 'em.

Dan D '99 Legacy L 30th AWD (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

The door handles, too? Nope, they repainted and didn't even bother to FULLY tape the car before spraying. Since they did such a lousy job prepping the car before painting it, I wouldn't trust the paint job, either. I was almost expected red-painted tires and wheels, too. By the way, looks like they made too large a batch of red paint because the car right behind it is the same color, and I don't recognize it as a Subie.

Reply to
Vanguard

This is either an LS or LSi model. I have one exactly like it. Doubt if it has ever been repainted as these models came from the factory with the monochromatic look. Snow on the roof is covering a sunroof. Notice the power antenna and special grill?

Reply to
johninKY

Close. It's a 96 GT, but yeah, the handles and trim are supposed to be the same color as the panels. I read on cars101.com that this car unfortunately didn't have a sunroof until the 97 model year (the LS and LSi did have it though). I really would prefer a sunroof, in that it allows me to have my XM antenna fully contained within the car.

I'm still debating on whether to buy this car or not. My 95 LS was sohhh much nicer condition (that is, until someone bashed into it). The milage on this one says 107K, but the condition of this here rim makes me wonder how accurate that reading is:

Here be the engine:

PCB