Clutch start switch

Hello, On my 2004 Silverado. I want to jump the clutch switch so the truck will start without the clutch needing to be pushed in. Two reasons. One , If you trash the clutch , You can drive the truck home. If you have to stop You can shut the vehicle off. Put it in First and start it and get moving again. Two. When working on the vehicle . And its in neutral. You can just reach through the window to start it. Without greasing everything up getting in and out of the car.

All I want to know is the starter mount and block strong enough to take it. Or is it going to rip the starter out if I try it once. And will the battery go dead with the wires jumped. Or does the switch not get power except when you start the car.

Reply to
DogDiesel

I wouldn't jump it out of the system. WAY too easy to cause problems if someone else jumps behind the wheel. Or forget to put it in neutral when you're working on it.

What I would do is install a toggle switch that is easy to reach. Just connect it in parallel with the current switch. That way you can have it both ways.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yea, A much better idea. Easy enough. This is what I get when I go from 70s-

80s trucks right to 2004.
Reply to
DogDiesel

Could be going the other way. We have a very nice 75 Chevy van in my FD that catches young folks all the time. It's a short wheelbase with a 350 and a column shift 3 speed. You want to see confusion... Most of our members have never seen a column shift before, unless it's an automatic. They get a bit flustered when it dawn on them that it's not an automatic!

Reply to
Steve W.

I can easily imagine that. Then, do you offer them a rotary phone to call and tell everyone? Just to show my age. I learned to drive on a

1970 Chevrolet Nova, with three speed column shift. I learned to dial a phone, with a rotary dial phone.

Why do you have a van in your front door?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

FD = Fire Dept ;-)

It is actually a unique vehicle as it has the distinction of being the ONLY vehicle the department has purchased new! All the other vehicles are at least on the second owner (some are on the 4th!)

When it was first ordered it was a special item because it was painted in that UGLY lime yellow that was being pushed as a replacement for red. About 5 years ago it was "accidentally" backed into and when it came back it was wearing Red with a White stripe... OOPS... The interior is still the ugly color though. It may get some serious work done on it this fall. I am planning on building some nice shelves and storage compartments for it and may paint the interior at that time. Floor will get bed liner spray and roof will be getting an insulated headliner with lights so you can actually see in the back. May also install some exterior scene lights.

Reply to
Steve W.

I has a 72 International pickup column shift. awesome vehicle. manual brakes, shift, choke, backup lights were manual. manual steering was not nice with king pin front end.

But I jest you not. My niece came to visit. here from Florida. Taken for a ride in my in my Geo storm. It had roll down windows. She couldn't figure how to roll down the window without power buttons.

Reply to
DogDiesel

What does the van do, for your fire department? Carry drinking water, outhouse, and Scott bottles?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon