Exhaust gases in heating/A/C systems?

Is it possible in theory that exhaust gases to end up in the heater/A/C ducts? Is it an unusual problem? My GF complains that her head starts to ache after she drives with A/C on for some time... What would typically be the cause of this? (in terms of the part that is at fault)

Thanks.

Reply to
Apu McRodrigues Ibn Hottab

Maybe driving with back window or tail gate open and a tail wind? AC leaking freon from evaporator? Serious exhaust leak allowing gas to be pulled into the fresh air vent? Running vehicle with all windows closed and air control set for recalculation allowing a hi concentration of CO2 in the passenger compartment will cause head aches and drowsiness. eddie

Reply to
Edward Hayes

One thing the air-con does is dehumidify the air, and some people find that a particularly dry atmosphere gives them headaches. My wife suffers from this side effect when I've had the air-con for some time. - OK?

Reply to
Richard (UK)

in

Reply to
Edward Hayes

How old is her car?

I suffered headaches for about 2 weeks when driving with my A/C on.

At the end of the second week, I took the A/C evaporator fan (the one that circulates the air inside the car) and found a humongous growth of mold and fungus in the A/C evaporator coil, not to mention lots of small rotten tree leaves etc. Heater and A/C air pass through the evaporator.

One growth raised up from one of the evaporator pipes. It was so big i kept it to show it to my friends so they would not think i was exaggerating.

Cleaned the evaporator with water and a soft brush and got rid of the problem.

Good luck

Apu McRodrigues Ibn Hottab wrote:

Reply to
TM