c-clip exhaust tool

the tool for putting the clips back on the manifold /downpipe for an

85 cabriolet. anyone in pittsburgh with one of these that would be willing to let me borrow theirs? don't want to buy it or pay half the price for rental (no auto stores around here seem to have it) I have the 2" muffler clamp as a back up but thought i'd check here. I have some spare a2 jetta parts for trade too..

drop me an email

thanks mike d

85 cabriolet with an techtonics exhaust sitting in my basement ready to be put on FOR SALE PS I have grey 92 jetta auto 228,000 miles in se ohio for real cheap if anyone is interested. original engine, tranny was leaking
Reply to
vwtopdown

It is possible to make two simple devices to serve as the expander. Cut some thin sheet steel to form a wedge to drive into the inner part of the "C", or cut a tube to take a nut and bolt inside it to expand the C clamp to fit. Put the C-clip in a vice and force open the clip to take the wedge or tube so it is wide enough to slip over the exhaust flange. Go under the car and yank over to one side the exhaust down pipe so ONE unexpanded C-clip can be put on, pushing the exhaust pipe back to the mid position to hold the C-clip. Now push the pipe hard away from the installed C-clip, to bring the two bits of the flange as close as you can while you put on the C-clip that you have expanded previously with wedge or tube (the adjustable one). Then relax the exhaust pipe flange and hope it will be grippped by the expanded C-clip. Take a hammer and drift and tap out the wedge or tube out, and tap in the ends of the C-clip until they seat themselves in the indentations of the flange. You might have to go back and widen the wedge or tube to widen the jaws of the C-clip and try again. And you might have to get a bigger hammer to tap out the wedge/tube. I later made two adjustable C-clips of my own from a long nut and bolt with 2 half C-clips to squeeze the flange ends together ready for the C-clips. I still needed the big hammer. NB: KEEP YOUR FINGERS OUT OF THE WAY. THE C-CLIPS ARE POWERFUL.

-- Derek Wealleans snipped-for-privacy@clara.dot.co.uk Remember:- remove the anti spam

Reply to
Derek Wealleans

Thanks for the response. I'm aware of every possible way of making the tool of out various things. Was just looking for the real thing. I've done a dry run with the 2" muffler clamp and that works great. I'm going to just have a guy here at work weld a little nub on each side of the clamp to keep the clip from flying out. However is it better to try and put them on from above or below?

KEEP YOUR FINGERS OUT OF THE WAY. THE C-CLIPS ARE POWERFUL.

Reply to
vwtopdown

From underneath.

-- Derek Wealleans snipped-for-privacy@clara.dot.co.uk Remember:- remove the anti spam

Reply to
Derek Wealleans

and the final ? How far apart should i initially seperate the clip before putting it on?

thanks miked

Reply to
vwtopdown

I suppose far enough to fit over the ends of the flanges on the exhaust manifold and downpipe.

Reply to
Roger Brown

manifold and downpipe.

I suppose i did this job two weeks ago. thanks for the timely and appropriate reply. I suppose i'll remember that advice next time.

mike

Reply to
vwtopdown