heating relay circuit problem

307sw 1.6Hdi 2004

Hi, Following on from all the other problems that I have had with this car (if you have seen my ealier posts). Today I took my car into the garage to have the latest software installed and everything seemed to be fixed when I drove the car out but 1 mile down the road the engine warning light came back on and the power dropped again. I took the car striaght back to the Peugeot garage and he checked the error for me. P1352 - Pre/Post Heating Relay Circuit Error. He was unable to cancel this error so I am told that there must be something wrong but the garage were not willing to look into it without charging by the hour. The only advise he could give was to change all the Glow plugs. 'That might do it'. Before I spend good money after bad I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar problem and been able to sort it out.

Reply to
lenny

Not sure that I would change the glow plugs just yet, especially as this time of year I doubt they are even being used. On my 406 and partner van which are both HDI, I don't even see the pre-heat light come on until it gets pretty cold in the mornings around November time and then its only for a few seconds. Not sure if it works on Peugeots but on older Fords you could unplug the battery for 30 minutes and it would re-set the engine warning lights. Might be worth a try and see if it comes back on again with the same fault. GGJ

.
Reply to
GGJ

Check your earth straps, and the wires from the re-lay box. as my 405 started to play up showing all kind of lights and what we found out that the earth on the re-lay box was very dirty, after a very good clean and reseating it to diff place no more problems.

Reply to
Chris

thanks chaps, The bloke in the garage said that they never use the glow plugs these days so I don't know why he asked me to replace them first. I will check the earths. Could the battery being drained over a number of hours also be related to something like that? That problem was also supposed to have been sorted with the software upgrade but I went out to the car this morning for the battery to have 0 Volts in it. So something is also draining that.

Reply to
lenny

Never heard of glow plugs or rely box draining the battery.have you checked your boot light switch,?they are always the problem as u cant see them on due to it being inside the boot.

Reply to
Chris

I have checked and it isn't that or any other light, door, heater, item in the cig lighter.

Reply to
lenny

How old is the battery?it must be earthing it self back recheck all the wires earths, gearbox engine,and the most that people forget is the big main one from batt to engine or body work rempve them one at a time and give them a very good rub down.

Reply to
Chris

I will do that. The Battery is 2 days old. The same thing was happening to the last battery and it was recommended to buy another one so I did only to find that, although it lasted a bit longer, it still lost all power over night.

Reply to
lenny

Not that good with cars but I am an electrical engineer:

Have you tried pulling all the fuses and reconnected them one by one to see which one is causing the problem? I note this has been recommended before.

Plan along similar lines:

  1. List all fuses.
  2. Each night pull one fuse.
  3. Each morning check the battery.

Note which fuse was pulled when the battery is NOT drained next morning. The problem will be on that circuit.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Chant

I use a clamp on ammeter I got from the local Lucas dealer a few years ago on the battery lead, & just pull the fuses one at a time. It only works for currents of over an amp or so, as that's the minimum current the meter will register, but if the battery's going flat overnight, that's at least a couple of amps, so you'll see the meter twitch.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
John Williamson

[...]

Your battery is still going flat I see...

There was a problem with the 307 wiring harness rubbing through and causing a fuse to blow

It is quite possible that a similar problem exists on your car. Because there are a number of wires in the harness it can cause a short to chassis on any wire in the harness depending upon which one is closest to the outside of the bundle and the rubbing point. It won't necessarily blow any fuses if the wire has sufficient resistance back to the battery supply but it could certainly flatten a battery.

As for the problem related to the P1352 error code - I can't see how a pre-heater or glow plug fault would cause the engine to go into limp mode. It sounds to me as if your garage personnel don't have a clue and are grasping at straws. I would still be willing to bet this problem is caused by a faulty differential exhaust pressure sensor.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

thanks for that information. I have taken a look at the link and also the car. I can't see any obvious problems with the wiring and no fuse has blown. You might be right about the garage clutching at straws. A pity that as it is a Peugeot garage.

Another garage did some work >

Reply to
lenny

:thanks for that information. I have taken a look at the link and also the :car. I can't see any obvious problems with the wiring and no fuse has blown. :You might be right about the garage clutching at straws. A pity that as it :is a Peugeot garage. : :Another garage did some work on it recently (about 2 weeks before this :problem) when the Cam belt went. So the head has been taken off. Maybe :something hasn't been replaced properly, although it seemed to work fine for :the first week. But after a couple of days the exhaust came loose and a :couple of air intakes were not connected properly which doesn't fill me with :confidence. :

Well, you will need to keep looking for the cause of the flattening battery, it's there somewhere. As suggested by someone on another thread, it may be a case of discovering it by process of elimination via sequential fuse removal and seeing what happens overnight.

On your timing belt problem. Obviously, the "mechanic" (?) pulled the head to check for bent or broken valves following the timing belt failure. Did they tell you what they found?

It appears they failed to correctly tighten the exhaust and intake manifolds and this tells me they are totally incompetent, even as backyard mechanics. I wouldn't be letting them near any vehicle I owned.

Can you find a better Peugeot service station?

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Found the problem with the warning light. The Heater Plug relay(attached to the outside of the under bonnet fuse box, just behind the front bulkhead) had burnt out. Replaced this and the car stopped loosing it's battery power over night, the warning light went off and the power came back again.

Reply to
lenny

:Found the problem with the warning light. The Heater Plug relay(attached to :the outside of the under bonnet fuse box, just behind the front bulkhead) :had burnt out. Replaced this and the car stopped loosing it's battery power :over night, the warning light went off and the power came back again. : :

Great news Lenny. Thanks for letting everyone know of your success.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Well done finding the problem , but this should still have shown up when testing for power drain with a multimeter. But at least its sorted now. You never know you might even start to like the car now.

GGJ

Reply to
GGJ

It's a fairly early 307, for God's sake.

Ron Robinson (taking shelter)

Reply to
R N Robinson

Not a 307 fan then Ron? GGJ

Reply to
GGJ

Please be careful, I can get very boring about a firm whose cars used to be designed by engineers who knew what made a car ride well and be worth driving, but who have now been replaced by a market research department that doesn't. Combine that with inadequately developed electrics and unreliable mechanical bits and you have the early 307. It's the sort of car that could have been made by anybody and it's a pity it wasn't - they'd probably have done it better.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R N Robinson

Hi,

I have to agree here, and it's a bit of a heavy trend now in automotive market. Former PSA's CEO thought nowadays cars are all technically equal each others between brands - i.e the 406 worthes a Laguna, or a Mondeo, or whatever else in the same market segment. And although being a good manager (when he came at the top of PSA the group was merely producing 2M cars a year, when he left they were a bit above 3 millions, improving benefits, and that's a goal for every private company), I have to say I totally disagree with that. He certainly gave too much of money to designers - I mean the guys with long hair which are about to the look of a car, leading the tech department to almost starve... When there was all of these electronics fault with 307s (which was the first fully-muxed Pug ever), it sprung to eyes : nice ideas, almost everything you could expect for electronics embeeding was there (multiple ECUs and redundant buses divided by group of functions, useful when failing). Some other makers seems they even didn't know about this evidence... But another thing came to mind : yes they were still a bit brilliant and certainly a bit above most common cars (even if the "VW-style" in the 307 sounded at me like an alert), and they released another generation of pretty good Diesel engines (HDI's) which common fails on early cars were due to crap components provided by Bosch... But what's next ? The 407 has an excellent chassis, at least front train, the rear axle being took off a 406, *BUT* the Coupe has something too huge, hence a lack of elegance, and I miss the 406 Coupe, which was eeer so elegant and somewhat exciting, I guess.

Here we are : while Pug gave almost all of the design part to Pininfarina, there were some ducks but the global stuff was great. Now the techs & engineers have far less liberty, it misses something in the house*. I also expect a great way back of engineering in its house. I well imagine an army of techies and engineers coming on the design area, slapping some hippies and screaming "get out of there !".

  • To be honnest, they still manage to get some nice pieces of engineering... For example the early 206 2L HDi Eco, able of giving 120g/km without heavy modifications (instead of 138 in standard specs). I have one, it's well driveable, and reports a better economy than the 205D I had before, although being heavier, bigger, and more comfortable to drive.

Cheers,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T