Failed emmissions test - computer problem

I just purchased a really clean 1991 Subaru legacy from a private party. I bought it knowing the censor light on the dash was malfunctioning and wouldn't go out - dumb, I know! I had it at a reliable mechanic's for 4 hours this morning - it came up with 3 codes. They could not get them fully cleared and the light to go off, everytime they did it came back on. I know the actual exhaust system is fine, I had a smog test run on it and they guy told me so and gave me the print out. He said the only reason he can't pass me is because of the censor light. .and yes, I live in good old California! The mechanic thinks I'm going to have to have the computer replaced by a Subaru dealer, costing at least $400 for the part. I have to have this done within 30 days - the car has out of state plates and I need to get it completely registered. Advice please?

Reply to
new2subaru

Take the light bulb out?

Reply to
Mal Osborne

Perhaps you could list the three codes your car came up with?

Don't feel so bad about buying the car with the light on. I did the same thing with my Impreza, but it was from a car lot, and they had it in writing that their mechanic would be fixing the problem. I pulled the codes myself instead of waiting, and fixed the problem myself without having to trouble them further. (-; Cost me my time, a can of carb. cleaner, a ~$65 O2 sensor and what I believe the guy at the store called a crow's foot wrench. No, the carb cleaner didn't go anywhere near the sensor. (-;

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

Get it fixed. Of course that means Scanning the codes and then either going through the diagnostic procedure (refer to the Subaru Factory Service Manual for the procedure for those codes), or replacing parts & hoping it works. Might be a good idea to pay a reputable mechanic to repair it.

In California it's the seller's responsibility to smog the car, but it sounds like he let you know it didn't pass, and why.

Removing the bulb won't work, since it needs to light when the car is turned on.

Reply to
David

Hi,

LOL, sounds like "Click & Clack" and their black electrical tape "fix." But in here in California, they check that the light both goes on and then turns off...

Better to do as others already suggested: trace the codes, fix the parts that threw the codes. ECM computers do go bad, but rarely on their own, and a new computer still won't undo a bad sensor downstream from it.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright