Finally: 2.2 belt and leak

Rick Courtright, Carl 1 Lucky Texan, (CRGILL) Chris. Thanks for your help last fall on my question about a ,98 2.2 front engine leak. Tonight my son and I tore in to it. The crank seal was brittle and weeping. It is replaced and the cam seals are going in next first thing tomorrow. So far getting at the timing area was easy; one more hurdle-the belt itself. The old one was burnished by the sheet metal retainer-the one arched over the top of the belt at the crank pulley. The on that's supposed to have a .040" gap. I guess the tech at the dealer missed that detail.

My guide and roller kit came with a new eccentric style tensioner and, I think a new roller for the old,preload style. Haven't decided what to use yet. It seems either would work. Any ideas?

Charlie in Pittsburgh

Reply to
Charlie Sachs

I read the posts about "new hydraulic cam belt tensioner" Now I don't know which one to use: the old preload type or an eccentric replacement that came in my kit. Any advice appreciated. Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Sachs