Forester Check Engine Light on

If you're in Perth I can give you a number...

Reply to
Klompmeester

Not really, but anyway....

Sure.

As I said earlier, the thing sounds as if it'll try to guess what's wrong if you can't figure it out for yourself, but how it can predict what's likely to fail or be used to "tune" the engine in any way is beyond me. It just sounds like an elaborate method of doing what a hand scanner does in 10 seconds.

But hey, some people like to be over technical don't they?

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

unfortunately no :(

Reply to
coaster

Yup. Just saves me looking it all up. I already have the interface and the software is free. Why would I want anything else?

Reply to
JD

I does it in the same amount of time. If how you 'tune' a car with OBDII is beyond you then, yes, the laptop tool is useless to you; stick to whatever tool is simple enough for you. The handscanners don't do what I need done. What I have costs no more and does what I need.

Reply to
JD

Fine.

How the f*ck you "tune your car" using OBDII output codes is beyond me though :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

You don't use the output codes to tune the car. You use the port, and the real-time parameters tell you what you need to change and what effect any of your changes have had. However, the tool also reads and clears trouble codes, provides diagnostics, using the same interface and software; no additional cost and no need to look up the codes.

Reply to
JD

I'm aware of that, but I', surprised the software allows you to make any changes at all. Most ECU's are not "adjustable".

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Not so. Most ECUs are reflashable. The dealers do it all the time to address TSBs. Depending on what you reflash it with, you can tune them virtually on the fly.

Reply to
JD

Flashing an ECU isn't "tuning a car", and dealers do it to correct issues. Basically, what I'm saying is that you can't go in and change the timing map or up the fuel pressure to "tune" the engine.

Like I said, if you get off on the bells & whistles then more power to you. My OBDII socket doesn't see any action unless the car has a problem.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

What I am saying is, yes you can. Tuning the car is about manipulating the timing maps, boost controllers, timing advance, commanded fuel ratio, open and closed-loop fuel system behaviour, etc. Depending on what you reflash your ECU with, the tools allow you to do just that. The only difference in what the dealer does is that they reflash an entire image coming from the manufacturer. There a lots of tools on the market that when you reflash the ECU with them, and you have the correct software and interface on your computer, you can manipulate virtually any performance parameter you like; as long as it is not the emission system.

And if that is all you do is read codes when the light comes on, you probably can just get a buddy to scan it. If you want to do more than that, the software scanners are about the same price with a lot more capability.

Reply to
JD