Forester evolution

Comparing my 2016 with daughter-in-laws 2010 and my wife's 2008 in driveway this afternoon. I had also had a 1998 and found this Wiki article very interesting:

Frank

Hi, Frank.

So which one do you like the most?

How is your 2016 doing btw. I remember you worried about potential oil consumption.

I did some net-research recently about silver rod bearings, Subaru supposedly started using these in all cars in 2008 or so.

They don't like zinc. Zinc east silver!

The recommendation (requirement!)for GF-5 Energy Conserving oil in 5w-30 weight only may be related to a need for reduced zinc. GF-5 Energy Conserving oils have the least zinc, thicker viscosities than 5w-30 are allowed to have more zinc.

I like thicker oils generally, always have, but this may be a no,no for not a later year Forester. No Rotella T-6, Redline, or other favorite thicker weight oil for me.

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

Correction: was meant to read "For a later year Forester."

No Rotella T-6, Redline, or other favorite thicker weight zinc rich oil for me.

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

The synthetic only requirement may also be related, if only partially, to silver in rod bearings. Zinc corrodes silver quicker in the presence of acid, in a more acidic environment.

Sulphuric acid, other acids, are known form faster in mineral oil, oils rich in impurities, sulphur.

Synthetic does not turn acidic as fast, thereby "prevents" so to speak, silver bearings from zinc and acid induced corrosion, degradation.

Just sharing some thoughts, Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

Thanks for the comments.

I like my 2016 a lot but feels like a much larger vehicle since it is about 3 inches higher. Think the smaller versions may be easier to drive and my son has commented that he likes driving his wife's Forester more than mine.

Have only 3,000 miles on it and oil is OK. Family contact at SOA said he had not heard of oil issue. All his family have Subaru's.

Better gas mileage is noticeable. I like the smoothness of the CVT and I can go more downhill without braking as much although I'd probably switch to the lo speed going down our hill if snow covered.

Back-up camera is nice but I have had to also learn a lot about new electronics that all new cars now have. Sales lady put both our cell phones into Blue Tooth but I got confounded when I needed a new phone, went to sales department, another salesman, who could not get it in but starting car next day it worked. Apparently it had to be rebooted to work. Took me a half hour to figure out how to set clock to DST. First time I tried to beep the horn because of the new stuff in between it did not work so I have had to learn these little differences. Wife is more comfortable driving hers. Think I mentioned that my brother happened to buy a new Forester, same color as mine but a model higher with sun roof which I did not want, the same week, and went through the same issues going back to dealer to learn electronics. His salesman did not know how to do it since he was new and got another to help him. He is very pleased with his Forester having traded in his 5 year old Outback - likes it better.

Reply to
Frank