Partially OT: Headlights

What is it with plastic headlights? There seems to be an entire range of things happening to the lights on various cars. My 2008 Outback has the slightest bit of surface crazing that is only visible under very close examination. Other cars of similar age and older seem to suffer much worse degradation with some looking like barely-translucent yellow slabs. Is it the material used in the lens? The weather? Bad karma?

There is one thing to say for old-school sealed beam headlights -- glass didn't degrade and if they burned out or broke a quick cheap trip to the parts store and 15 minutes of labor would fix everything as good as new.

Reply to
John McGaw

My Subaru's have always held up well but I see it is bad on others of much newer vintage and higher cost. Do not know if the lens makers apply them but there are scratch resistant coatings for plastics. Plastics having much lower hardness than glass are more subject to erosion from grit like sand. There are products sold for refinishing these clouded lenses. They clean and perhaps coat. I was familiar with these coatings for acrylics. I mentioned in another thread here that I used to polish the plastic lens on an old watch with toothpaste.

Reply to
Frank

Ultraviolet light damage from the Sun. You'll see anything made of transparent plastic sitting outdoors start to turn yellow. Other non-transparent plastics also start to lose their colours.

Changing headlight bulbs is also pretty cheap and easy, most of the time. Plastic replaced glass specifically because of its fragility and tendency to crack and break. If you don't want your headlights to yellow, then keep your car indoors in a garage.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

There are plastics that won't yellow, but polycarbonates are light and cheap and easy to form, as well as being pretty resistant to chipping and cracking. - so we get polycarbonate plastic headlights that check and craze and yellow - but don't breal. I've replaced more headlights for yellowing than I ever replaced for breakage - particularly on "euro" style lamps.

Reply to
clare

Brief article on plastics used in lenses:

Also mentions coatings used to protect from UV and hazing. These coatings have been around for decades.

Thinking it might be best to use those kits sold in auto stores as besides removing haze which can simply be done by buffing out they may also contain the UV and hazing prevention coatings.

Personally I've had no problem with my Subaru's and am dismayed to see the problem on much more pricey vehicles.

Reply to
Frank