Forester head gasket

I am looking at a 99 Forester that needs a head gasket. I am wondering how much work is involved with this and generally which is the best way to approach the matter (in chassis, pull the engine, or ??). I don't mind doing the work, but I would like to get a little bit of an idea of what I am getting myself into as I have never done this sort of work on a Subaru. Thanks.

Matt

Reply to
Matt W

The head gaskets can be done in the car but you need to do most from the bottom. The eng is easy to pull and al home I would suggest that. While out do the timing belt, cam crank seals, oil seperator plate and rear main seals. Some engs also have a plug on the rear of the right head, do it also. Check the head for flatness when out Steve

Reply to
StephenW