Forester on highway?

My wife wants to buy a 2002 Forester. We now have a 97 Camry in which I am very comfortable at 75-80 mph (the normal interstate speed around here). The Forester is (according to Edmunds) has a wheelbase 8 inches shorter than the Camry. I suspect it's going to be evil handling at those speeds. Am I wrong?

My son has 2 Outbacks that he really likes. I have briefly driven one of them on the highway, but not over 70 mph. It was ok.

Dick.

Reply to
Dick Monahan

Forester sits higher, is more square, and has a 99 in wheelbase. Considering all this, it tracks well at high speeds if it is not too windy. More likely the engine buzz will get to you on long trips. While the engine can handle it, it is not as smooth as a Camry V-6.

Reply to
Jakey

You are wrong. My wife has 2002 Forester. There is absolutely no problem with it at 85 mph.

DK

Reply to
DK

Reply to
Edward Hayes

My 04 Forester (same design essentially) is perfectly at home on the highway at 125-140K/H (75-85MPH). In fact my experience is that it feels especially stable, as compared to my 90 Legacy Wagon and an 04 Mazda6 I drive. Take it out for a test drive and see for yourself. The handling inspires confidence.

Regards, H

my 98 is very stable at 75+

Reply to
frank
2004 XT here. No worries at speeds up to 100mph! I Generally drive between 75 and 80.
Reply to
Lord Drool Rockworm

I have a 1998 with 182K miles. I drive it at 80 on the freeways in Arizona and when the winds blow I do feel the blowing; but the ride is very stable. This also goes for passing semis on the highway.

I also go to the mountains and feel very comfortable on the mountain roads and should there be any rain or snow I feel I am in the best ride around.

Drive one, my new 05, seems more stable; but I only have 900 miles on it.

Enjoy the ride.

Reply to
Jonathan