Forester: Replacing Tires Question

I'm about due for replacing my original tires on my '01 Forester, after about 33,500 miles.

My question isn't about which tires to get. Instead, I'd like to know whether it's a good idea to have an alignment done at the same time. I have no specific reason to think that I need an alignment. The car is not pulling to one side and I can't recall hitting any huge potholes or anything. But a lot of tire manufacturers recommend getting one to maximize tread wear.

If it is a good idea to get the alignment now, are there any specific concerns for an AWD vehicle? Can this be reliably done at your average Firestone, Goodyear or

Reply to
BRH

For the cost, it's almost always worth doing an alignment. The receipt usually gives you the before and after specs of the alignment, so you can see if there was a difference. A small amount of misalignment will not necessarily cause any pull, but may be enough to wear the tires unevenly or prematurely over the several years you will have them. Any good alignment shop should be able to do the work. At the same time, they will check for any wear in the components (ball joints, tie rods etc) before doing the work.

Ed B.

"BRH @comcast.net>"

Reply to
ed