Forester Windshield Washer

I have a new 2006 Forester X Premium purchased in late June. I have not yet refilled the washer fluid reservoir. A week or so ago it was below freezing in the morning and the rear washer jets didn't work, though the front ones did. Later, after the air temperature warmed up the rear started working. So this was not related to low fluid but to low temperature. A warning sign I ignored.

This morning is was 15 when I left the house. neither the front or rear washers would work. I tried to refill the reservoir but it would take less than 1 quart of fluid.

I called the dealer who prepped the car to ask if they had added plain water back in June. They said that the cars come from the factory with all fluids, including the washer fluid. He said that Subaru uses normal washer fluid with standard washer antifreeze. The service manager didn't believe that the system could be frozen.

After the car sat in the sun and warmed up, both the front and rear washer jets started to work. I ran the system long enough to empty the tank and then filled it with the type of washer fluid I have used in my cars here for almost 30 years. I will see tomorrow if everything is OK.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Are we sure that Subaru (in Japan) uses washer fluid with antifreeze for all their cars shipped to the US?

One more thing. I thought that when the fluid got low the rear jets were supposed to stop working before the front ones. That is, the pump for the rear jets drew fluid from a higher level than the pump for the front jets. That way the driver has some warning that the fluid is low while they can still clean the front windshield. Well, as I was emptying the tank, as soon as the rear stopped working, so did the front. is this normal?

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

My experience is, you better worry about MORE than just the washer fluid.

I bought my 2006 Outback 3.0 VDC in February, and, had shifting problems from the get-go (the transmission would up or down shift erratically). I finally brought it back at about 1200 miles and told them to check it out.

They found the transmission fluid low, and, told me that "they probably forgot to check it at the port". Since my car's made in USA, I asked them, "WHAT port?", and, then asked them why they hadn't checked out ALL fluids when they sold me the car. They told me that "Subaru USED to pay us to do that, but, they now pay them to do it at the port, so, we no longer check.".

I find it incredible that this kind of philosophy goes on. I grabbed the Service Manager, then and there, and forced him to have my car completely inspected for all fluids, seals, etc.

Since it was Denver, in Winter..._I_ had ensured that I had proper washer fluid the day I picked up the car, but...no telling what it was shipped with...

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Most of this stuff is checked off by the salesman at his desk.

At least it was on mine! I caught him doing it.

Reply to
Bonehenge

I also found I had 36 psi in all the tires when the spec is

28 or 29.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

It is a lucky thing to have a trivial problem.

Don't forget to have everything that needs grease apart and add synthetic grease. Including: wiper linkage, motor, heater motor, transaxles bearings, rear diff should be synthetic along with the tranny. Check all engine lines and cooolant overflow bottle for tight cap, along with radiator, may as well check that engine oil cap seal while you're at it. Look for dangling wires under the dash too.Possibly add a filter for the heater box intake. Check seams of unibody for seperation after first year- they shouldn't be completely apart, but some will occur, seal them with auto caulking and paint. Check wheel wells, mud flaps, fender well linings, missing undercoating on the underside and dangling wires yet again. Have Fun in the mean time if you chose to ignore this stuff ;o)

The above will make at least 10 year flawless soob.

Reply to
bgd