forester with gps?

Hi there.. an aquantince of mine purchased a 2000 forester recently. He claims that is has gps and be tracked if stolen,hence his insurance dropped 300.00 This person tends to stretch the truth quite a bit on a lot of matters,and I was wondering if this is another. I know Outback is available with onstar,but is this guy telling little lies again? thx

Reply to
slider

Lo-jack systems can be purchased aftermarket for any car but I think they are $700-1000.

If your car isn't on the top 10 most stolen list, I think this purchase would be hard to justify, even IF the guy was getting a $300/year insurance discount, which I doubt.

Reply to
Greg Smith

Reply to
slider

Sounds like he has a tracker fitted. In the UK they are a good idea if your car is at risk (they are all at risk in this chav ridden hole)

If you don't know what a 'chav is, have a look here

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Lo Jack is a $700-$1200 dealer installed option......

Reply to
Ralph

Let's see... That would be $300 Canadian, I suppose, or about $235 U.S.

Theft insurance is included in the "Comprehensive" or "Other than Collision" insurance coverage. For my wife's 1999 Forester the Comprehensive insurance, with $100 deductible, costs $68 a year, and the coverage for my 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe costs $194 a year. That's $262 a year for *two* cars for insurance for theft, falling objects, fire, vandalism, etc.

It would be pretty hard for me to save $235 a year on theft coverage alone for one car.

YMMV.

Reply to
John Varela

If the vehicle has Onstar then it has GPS and could be tracked and located if stolen. Lo-jack is a bit different as the Police have to a Lo-jack receiver and then find the signal and triangulate the vehicles location. It's not stretching the truth to say you have a locating system on the vehicle but it must have Onstar installed on it. In fact there are some websites that show you how to tap into the GPS signal and bring into a laptop to make your own navigation system.

Reply to
null

He may have OnStar, which has GPS for its own use, but in any event, he is exaggerating. Most companies do not discount at all for OnStar.

Reply to
Alan

I did check on the Subaru website and it doesn't list the Forester as having onstar as an option.It did say however that the Outback has that option.

Reply to
slider

I don't know if the numbers quoted are valid, but at $300/year, even a $1000 system would pay for itself just after three years, and be producing a profit (in terms of reduced insurance) thereafter.

Wouldn't that make it a good idea, exclusive of any confidence of finding it if stolen? I've never had one of these things, and don't worry about theft, but if it puts money in my pocket...

Thanks! =aw

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber