Frustration with 2001 Outback LL Bean 3.0 L H6

Hello all: I have been having recurring problems with my Outback and wanted some thoughts/opinions from those who appear to be quite knowledgable in this group.

Since the last week in March of this year, I have been having a problem with the tach/RPM bouncing when slowing to a stop; no foot on the gas. This does not appear to be an idle problem, as the car does idle smooth. The check engine light went on twice in about two months after this initial March incident. The dealer said the first fault code was the throttle position sensor, which they supposedly replaced. The second fault code was supposedly an ECU recal, which they said they had to send it out for. They had the car one whole week that time.

Neither of these "fixes" has taken care of this problem.

The last time I had the car in the shop, one of the things they did was resurface the brake rotors since I was having the pulsating pedal response. (No, this was not the ABS kicking in. I know what that feels like as it had happened in the winter.)

That was just a few weeks ago. Now, my brakes are making a very high pitched squealing sound, which seems to stop when I put my foot on the brake to stop. I am assuming that this is the pad wear indicator; and wonder why the dealer did not notice the pads were on their way down when they had the rotors off?

It has been one thing after another with this car. A 2001 LL Bean Outback with ~7 k miles on it when I bought it in December of 2001, now has ~ 28 k. Before this car I had a 1993 Pontiac Grand Am, which had problems of its own, but nothing as recurring and annoying as this. I am considering trading in on either a Nissan Pathfinder or a BMW 3-series something.

Very frustrating since I do like the car for the features it has, which are why I bought it in the first place.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Jon Macey

Tony Hwang

Jon,

Does just the tach bounce, or do the RPMs actually go up?

I have a 2002 H6, and very occasionally when I'm parking I notice the the engine revs up just a bit, kind of like tapping the accelerator. For me, it doesn't happen often enough to be a problem, and when it does happen it doesn't cause any problems. But I would like to get rid of this behavior.

kl

J>Hello all:

Reply to
kl

My Forester raises and lowers about +/- 150 rpm when air conditioner pump cycles or when shifter from forward to reverse. eddie

Reply to
Edward Hayes

In my case, it may be the A/C. I'll have to pay attention to it, especially since I'll be using the A/C less as the weather cools. I can try toggling the A/C to see whether that causes it.

I don't think my issue is caused by the shifting, since it sometimes happens when parking head in, which doesn't require shifting.

kl

Edward Hayes wrote:

Reply to
kl

in article URtbb.8995$TM4.8630@pd7tw2no, Tony Hwang at snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote on 9/21/03 11:18 PM:

True, I am not the original owner; Subaru Corporate was. I was told this was a Subaru Program car or something like that. Anyway, the 'problem' did not occur for the first year I had the car.

Reply to
Jon Macey

in article 7WGbb.149147$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net, Edward Hayes at snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net wrote on 9/22/03 2:10 PM:

My 'problem' occurs even with the AC off, and often 250-500 rpm. Not really a functioning problem as the car does run fine otherwise. Just very annoying.

Reply to
Jon Macey