funny rattle from behind the timing belt cover

1999 outback

sounds like a marble is caught in the driver's side timing belt cover...when I put my fingers on the cover I can feel something getting knocked around. Happens usually when I start it and stops when the rpms get a little higher. no loss of power and everything else is normal. I tried taking the cover off (3 bolt screws) but the coolant overflow tank was in the way...does anybody know if the bottom of the coolant overflow tank is connected to the rad? Or do I just un-do the 2 bolts on it and yank it out? I did get the cover partly off and nothing fell out...and the belt looked fine.

any ideas?

Reply to
simmers

Ticking sound? Does it vary with engine speed? Does it go away after the car warms up?

My timing belt tensioner is loud as hell on start, and has been replaced 3 or 4 times under warranty such that I think all subuaru timing belt tensioners are ticky as heck. Quiets down after 2-3 minutes of runtime though.

Dunno if that's what you're hearing though.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.
  • 1 for Todd's suggestion. The overflow bottle on my Forester is only connected with the two upper bolts.
Reply to
Edward Hayes

Some folks find 'rubbed' spots on the inside of the covers from the belt flopping around, due to bad tensioners.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan